In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I succumbed to a little temptation and got myself one of those wireless thingamies, so my laptop now connects automatically to the internet without wires anywhere in the house.
- It's not a very clear picture but that is an ovulation test stick thingummy.
- I partook of the the lamb shank and Ma had the beef thingamy.
- It has a standard screen at the top, keys at the bottom, with a joystick thingummy in the middle.
- He happens to be really good at history, too, which is a point that requires my attention and constant monitoring - I don't want to be married to someone who has his head buried in historical thingummies all the time.
- This is because some sort of technical thingamy happened with our hosting thingamy.
- The engine seized up due to gunk building up and blocking some technical thingummies!
- However, when it comes to the old religion and war thingummy, I feel religions get it really, really badly in the neck.
- We don't - it's all being done by some start-up venture thingummy company.
- Payday or no payday, I'm not exactly in the jet set income bracket, so I had to content myself one of those micro-mini flash memory drive thingummies.
- This is specifically a reference to those fluorescent plastic thingummies that men like to stick in the back pockets of their trousers or jeans.
- If you believe in Feng Shui, you would probably recognise the larger role of the Laughing Buddha or any of the charming thingummies used by this ancient Chinese science to harmonise the energy of a living space.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.