In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tercerothe third duke of Camberwick — el tercer duque de Camberwick
- was there a third person present? — ¿había un tercero presente?
- Harvey Brown III — Harvey Brown III
- the Third Age — la tercera edad
- The precisionists inform us that we have only now entered the 21st century and the third Millennium.
- From the third century onwards, the climate deteriorated steadily, becoming colder and wetter.
- In the second and third centuries, the Church became institutionalised.
- The legend contends that Valentine served as a priest during third century Rome.
- The company struggled to make a profit until the third quarter last year.
- The first known European stringed instrument dates back to the third century.
- In the twentieth century, a third strand of citizenship, social citizenship, emerged.
- I can't wait to see what he does with the inevitable third film in the sequence.
- Found in the third century BC, the crocodile was respected by the Egyptians for its power and ferocity.
- The largest, carved in the third century AD, is thought to be the world's tallest standing Buddha.
- The third century Egyptian St Apollonia is the patron saint of all things dental.
- It was built in the third century BC in the time of King Pyrrhus of Epiros, but was remodelled by the Romans.
- Surely that thought is a good enough companion as we take our first faltering steps into the new century and the third millennium.
- He was born in Turkey sometime in the third century and was a Tribune in the Roman Army.
- The Ramayana is believed to have been written by Valmiki in Sanskrit in the third century BC.
- What kind of training and preparation did you do for the sequences in the third film?
- For one grand old North Yorkshire woman, the new Millennium saw the start of a third century of life.
- Two of the vehicles were burnt by the mob and the third was driven away.
- The day of love and romance dates back to the third century and a priest called Valentine.
- The third article in this sequence will get involved with more peripheral points regarding general opening strategy.
1(in position, time, order)en tercer lugar
2(thirdly)en tercer lugar
3(with superl)the third highest mountain — la tercera montaña en altura
1.2(part)tercera parte femininetercio masculinetwo thirds of the senate — dos tercios del Senado
2also third gearMotor Vehiclestercera feminine
cuarta nota de la escala de calificaciones de un título universitario
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.