In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Third Way — la Tercera Vía feminine
- The prime minister talks of there being a third way in most matters.
- Earlier popes also condemned both socialism and capitalism and hoped for a third way.
- Wake up, realize that you've been betrayed enough, and work for a third way.
- In the US, which never embraced the tenets of post-war social democracy anyway, the idea of a third way is even murkier than in Britain.
- This a conflict where there isn't a third way, I'm afraid.
- Even the third way, whatever it was, is no longer invoked.
- Now more than ever the search for third ways demands more attention and resources.
- In these discussions, it was always socialist or liberal parties that were going to show us the third way.
- There are few new answers to old questions, no third ways beyond the conventional solutions of more practical politicians.
- Liberalism, for him, was an attempt to provide a third way for American theologians.
- Instead, they have chosen a mushy third way between legalisation and prohibition that few understand and nobody respects.
- It may surprise you to know that the third way has no interest, as does traditional social democracy, in doing much about inequality.
- But you know there is a third way, of course - and you proved it could work on radio.
- Typical lefties that they are, they're opting for the third way.
- Historically, third ways have usually cropped up when people found the existing dominant political ideologies lacking.
- Talk of renegotiations, third ways and so on is no more than mere election fodder for the grim-faced electorate of North Antrim and beyond.
- But beyond these two traditional camps a third way is emerging.
- In recent times, social democracy has tried to create a new radical centre - a third way beyond Left and Right.
- Eventually we learn that the solution to the conflict can lie only in the future with the discovery and adoption of a third way.
- Two generations later, neo-orthodoxy issued a more aggressive appeal for a third way.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.