In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(leaders/nation/politics) tercermundistathe Third World — el Tercer Mundo
- This was not some outback post in the Third World, this was inner city London.
- This is most obvious in Africa, the only Third World continent to have actually declined.
- Few people knew more about Africa or the Third World in general than he did.
- Let that money be used to save the lives of people across the Third World.
- Many people in the Third World think in the developed world there are no problems.
- The result of free trade policies is the rise of food prices in the Third World.
- This has since burgeoned so that the Union provides aid for countries throughout the Third World.
- It is really important to take every opportunity to develop links with activists in the Third World.
- Instead of focusing on the needs of the poor in the Third World they enforce the writ of western corporations.
- They are presently in a very weak position, morally and politically, on the issue of Third World debt.
- The band support campaigns against Third World debt and in defence of asylum seekers.
- Mike's account of Western capitalism had its corollary in his view of what was happening in the Third World.
- It is always good to hear from people who are outraged by the suffering of the Third World.
- The Green Party would be open to trade rules that actually do help people in the Third World.
- Poverty has widely been regarded as characterizing the Third World, and it has a gendered face.
- That is the case with regard to many states in the Third World, especially sub-Saharan Africa.
- The global market took the feeding tube out of the Third World a long time ago.
- When the leaders of the most powerful countries meet, they often talk of the poverty of the Third World.
- He called on Winchester to cut its ties and develop twinning arrangements with towns in the Third World.
- Of more interest to socialists are the agency's activities in the Third World.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.