In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These so-called host plants include many broadleaf weeds and cover crops such as nettles, mallow, chicory, dandelion, thistles, bindweed, deadly nightshade, and many clovers.
- In the winter, Chukars feed primarily on seeds, cheatgrass, and thistles, switching to insects and green leaves in the summer.
- Did God create thorns and thistles, and poisonous plants?
- A large variety of shrubs have already been planted in the garden including thistles, dogrose, wild primulas and teasel.
- Imagine that: in the middle of London, a meadow, wild with thistles and long grass and flowers, with a family of escaped rabbits running wild and an area of grass just big enough for a decent game of rounders.
- For instance, dock and beggarticks often indicate wet soil, while thistles and mullein indicate a dry soil.
- In appearance, artichoke looks a bit like a thistle, though it is a member of the daisy family.
- It is a tall plant up to 3ft high and the flower head is just as prickly as a thistle.
- Two years ago there were lovely flowers growing here and now, there's nothing but thistles and weeds.
- The flower heads are small and numerous compared to other thistles and the roots are extensive.
- It attacks the thistle's leaves and stem, forming orange-brown lumps called pustules.
- But just let it rain and the next thing I know I've got thistles out there with stems big as my wrist.
- There are several big holes in the grassy area around the playground, large stinging nettles and thistles, loose nuts and bolts on the park's railings and uneven ground.
- Goldfinches enjoy eating the seeds of many meadow flowers including daisy, dandelion, and thistle.
- The grass hasn't been mown for some time - it was knee high - and there were flowering thistles as well.
- The thistle is a biennial plant, and this one is in its first year, when it develops a deep taproot.
- Highly invasive thistles from Europe have widely hybridized in Australia.
- Although these thin gloves may not hold up the best when you're doing tougher chores like pulling thistles or pruning rose bushes, they make a great addition to your gardening supply kit.
- It's used to get rid of dandelions, thistles and ragweed and it kills by causing abnormal cell growth that interrupts the movement of liquids and nutrients in the plant.
- Reveling in the sheer variety of natural forms, the photographer renders with equal finesse the undulating curves of dahlia blossoms and the bristling spikes of thistles and cacti.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.