In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(leather strip)correa feminine
- The oars were attached to wooden lockpins by leather thongs attached to the oar shaft.
- Completing her braid Lee tied it back with a leather thong.
- A wooden ladder lashed together with leather thongs led into a hole into the ceiling above.
- His long, dark brown hair was tied away from his angular, handsome features with a leather thong.
- Her hair was tied back with two leather thongs to keep it out of her face while riding.
- He managed adequately, though, in subzero temperatures by wrapping his feet in meal sacks which were nailed to his 12-foot long skis and lashed in place with leather thongs.
- I took a deep breath and let the wind ruffle my hair, loosing it from the leather thong.
- He moved to rub his sore head and discovered that his hands were bound by a leather thong.
- To stow, simply fold it up and hook the leather thongs over the brass studs.
- The assortment of straps and leather thongs and long, heavy stirrups annoyed him.
- Then with a flourish the hands closed the bag with thick leather thongs.
- For safety I kept my room key around my neck on a leather thong, and even tied an extra knot in it so it wouldn't slip over my head while swimming.
- Her hair went back into a quick knot at the base of her skull, tied with a leather thong.
- Grumbling to himself, he washed and dressed, tying back his long hair with a leather thong.
- Anastasia reached into her pocket and pulled out a leather thong - the type that you tie things with.
- She takes the leather thong out of my hair and threads it through the hole in the pendant.
- A leather thong was on her right forearm with a blade secured in it.
- Traditional footwear is sandals or wooden clogs with a thong that passes between the big toe and the second toe.
- He was dressed in traditional Paiute clothing, complete with moccasins, and his hair was kept back from his forehead with a leather thong.
- The interior was unlined, the top edges were often reinforced with leather; and two leather thongs sewn on just below the upper edges served as handles.
2(of whip)tralla feminine
3US(sandal)chancla femininechancleta feminineojota feminine Southern Cone
- Style is not necessarily synonymous with formal, making it possible for you to give casual shoes like thongs, slides and sneakers a try.
- Now guys can finally step into luxury with this pair of stylish thong sandals.
- The front entrance area should also be adorned with a variety of slippers, thongs and metal capped working class boots.
- Step into these stylish sandals this summer, from thongs to slides, and you'll be turning up the heat with whomever you want.
- The dress code is very relaxed too - unless you're wearing flip-flops and a thong, you'll stroll in without a second look.
- I see her kick off her black thong sandals and pull her feet up into her chair, sitting Indian style as she settles in to study.
- If you favor earth tones, these suede thong sandals are your ticket to ride.
- The soles of her thong sandals are at least two or three inches thick, and the leather between her toes is braided with gems attached.
- Children go barefoot, while their parents wear rubber thongs or sandals.
- Going barefoot or wearing sandals or thongs can also cause PF.
- This condition is very infectious, so do not walk around barefoot where other people are likely to tread or allow sharing of thongs, sandals, or towels.
- And what of rubber thongs being worn to work, exposing chipped nail varnish in women or overgrown toe nails in men?
- Slip-on sandals or thongs are always useful, especially if you're going to a warm climate or if you're expecting to take showers in sports facilities.
- It's common to see men on Greek construction sites wearing thongs or sandals, but not helmets or safety harnesses.
- I've nothing against flip-flops, or thongs for holidays and really hot days, but they are so over-available this summer there has to be an alternative, and maybe it's just not provided by retro wedges.
- I love getting lost at the beach, then walking in my salty thongs to a nearby pub with sand my my hair to drink cold beer and dance to a chilled out DJ.
- He said he had learned a valuable lesson - he would never wear thongs while driving again.
- As well, skip the sandals and stick to thongs or flip-flops.
- His plaid shirt and jeans make a good match for her gingham dress, while his masculine work boots match well with her cheap thong sandals.
- Get your feet on the coolest loafers, lounges, sandals, thongs, and sneakers of the season, and be a step ahead of the rest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.