In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(clean/wash) a fondo(clean/wash) a conciencia(research) rigurosamente(research) meticulosamente(examine) minuciosamente(examine) meticulosamente(work) concienzudamentemix the ingredients thoroughly — mezclar bien los ingredientes
- I do this until every muscle fiber in the biceps complex has been thoroughly fatigued.
- Then his bag was thoroughly searched, with each bottle of pills being examined, shaken and replaced.
- Dirt and cobwebs on equipment and floors suggested the premises had not been cleaned thoroughly for months.
- Although he had already prepared thoroughly, he cleaned and checked his revolver one last time before loading it.
- Everyone followed him and spilt up, searching the entire island thoroughly.
- Make sure all food is properly and thoroughly cooked in sanitary conditions.
- He proceeded to thoroughly search everything on me, including my wallet and even the battery casing of my phone.
- It is important for all parties to have the opportunity to debate all legislation thoroughly in this House.
- This involved thoroughly cleaning the house, rather a lot of food preparation and blowing up about twenty balloons.
- All four tyres on the car were changed, the carpet was taken out of the boot and he was spotted cleaning the car thoroughly.
- Do not give the shih-tzu puppy the run of the house until he has been thoroughly house trained.
- This surprised him because he really wants to sell the house and felt he had prepared for the process quite thoroughly.
- Most of the mess is caused by fast food and cans of drink, but we all pay enough tax to ensure it is thoroughly cleaned at least occasionally.
- Houses and shops are thoroughly cleaned to make a fresh new start and to host holiday visitors.
- Make sure that every surface of the kitchen is cleaned thoroughly at least once a month.
- We've cleaned the car thoroughly so it's ready for the wedding, and we've made some progress in the front room.
- A possible route from Alice Street to the railway station has been thoroughly searched without gain.
- I searched the whole village thoroughly and once I had done that I came back to the demolished gate.
- Instead, try short angled casts along the near bank, lengthening each cast to thoroughly search the margins.
- To use as a compress, dip an entire washcloth in the thoroughly chilled tea until soaked.
2(completely)(understand) perfectamenteI thoroughly agree — estoy completamente / absolutamente de acuerdo
- we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves — nos divertimos de lo lindo
- they seem thoroughly fed up — parecen estar verdaderamente / absolutamente hartos
- she's thoroughly unpleasant — es de lo más desagradable
- he's thoroughly honest — es honrado a carta cabal
- Anyone who, like me, likes wild speeches about interesting things, will thoroughly enjoy this book.
- These are people behaving in a thoroughly anti-social manner.
- Having thoroughly enjoyed this clever book, I find that it is the little episodes that I'll remember.
- Although windy, the weather stayed dry and all the participants thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
- I played badminton with Angela and Anita, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
- All the participants thoroughly enjoyed the walk on the famed Pilgrim Path.
- Although immensely stressful, she thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of her wedding preparation.
- My father thoroughly enjoyed his fillet of salmon en croute, finishing off the whole plate.
- We are told it was a tremendous success, and thoroughly enjoyed by the members and their friends.
- He's an absolute scream and thoroughly deserves his best actor award.
- I managed around 52 hours in London in total, and thoroughly enjoyed them all.
- I thoroughly enjoy what I do and if I'm allowed to get on with building the business I'm quite happy.
- While he may have been completely stunned, it was an award thoroughly deserved.
- It was a great success and thoroughly enjoyed by all members who participated.
- Although Matthew described the auditions as a bit scary, he is thoroughly enjoying the extensive rehearsals.
- This is absolutely nothing to do with me and is thoroughly annoying.
- It's a thoroughly ill-conceived picture full of plot twists that have absolutely no rhyme nor reason.
- We paid a modest sum and thoroughly enjoyed their fourth performance.
- This album is so thoroughly unhip that enjoying it almost feels like a subversive act.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the different displays of clothes and costumes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.