In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1literary, ArchaictúReligion vos Archaic
- However, a scripture I had learned as a child took on a whole new meaning: ‘What is man that thou art mindful of him?’
- In Solomon's Song the interrogators ask the bride, ‘What is thy beloved more than another beloved, O thou fairest among women?’
- The concept is anticipated in the Gospels: ‘And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?’
- But curb thou the high spirit in thy breast, for gentle ways are best, and keep aloof from sharp contentions.
- Since thou hast spurned the grace of God and made thyself unworthy of the office of preaching, we rightly deprive you of this office.
- The enemy lost about 500 thous men, 1,500 tanks including the latest Tigers, Panthers, and Ferdinands; 3 thous artillery pieces and over 3,700 airplanes.
- I hated to see it go, but it's not like I can't find another beater for under a thou.
- It was close to ten o'clock when I reached the house I wanted: mid-range for this neighborhood, less than three hundred thou, but they'd added a pool since.
- A couple hundred thou would make a lot of my problems easier to handle.
- ‘I only got two hundred thou,’ he growled as he slapped a chit card on the bar.
- I would give my sister and brother an amount, a couple of thou I guess, because I'm sure they would give me some if they won.
- Over 500 thous people used to serve in the division.
- The 6th Guards Army alone lost up to 30 thous of killed and wounded at Kursk.
- Right now, it comes to $314,742.92, although, being the loving and generous parent that I am, I'll call it an even three hundred thou.
- But a few thou to the school library each year seemed to shut the administration up.
- I've got about a hundred sixty thou split out in three CD's and another twenty-five in a mutual fund.
- He will give us a hundred thou just for bringing her in alive!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.