In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(beating)paliza femininezurra feminineto give sb a thrashing — darle una paliza a algn
- Little Maddie had to be rescued from her mother's thrashing lest she be injured.
2informal(heavy defeat)paliza feminine informalto get a thrashing — llevarse una paliza informal
- Favourites Den Bosch from the Netherlands retained the championship with a 8-2 thrashing of Ukrainian side Kolos Borispol.
- Ashley Giles is confident that England will recover from the thrashing.
- The victory was a welcome relief for the Rhinos who suffered a 56-10 thrashing at the hands of St Helens last week.
- The team managed to be in focus for a final berth till that thrashing by Australia, which won 8-3.
- A lack of inside toughness was exposed in a 26-point thrashing by the Blazers last week.
- Cracknell is alluding to the shockwaves sent out by the pair's thrashing in Milan.
- Greengates Albion picked themselves up from a disappointing result last week with a 5-1 thrashing of Windmill.
- G'day, Robbo - last time I had the pleasure of speaking to you, we were thrashing you Poms at the cricket.
- Spartak served notice early with a 4-1 thrashing of Arsenal.
- In international football Germany prepare for Euro 2004 with an embarrassing 5-1 thrashing by Romania.
- The Reds had clocked up what was then their biggest ever win by thrashing Gateshead 90-12 on Wednesday.
- Fullback Percy Montgomery spearheaded the Stormers to a 40-13 thrashing of the Hurricanes in a Super 12 rugby match here last night.
- Britain's tour ended with a 7-2 thrashing by Argentina.
- West Bowling A handed out a 56-4 thrashing at bottom club Rotherham.
- He followed up his win over top seed Juan Carlos Ferrero in the last round with a 6-2 6-1 thrashing of Arazi.
- They have been boosted by three wins in their last four games, notably the 4-1 thrashing of fellow strugglers Ipswich.
- However there seems little benefit in Australia thrashing a Zimbabwean team, weakened by the absence of all its best players.
- Stretford kept themselves in the title race with a comprehensive 83-run thrashing of Westleigh.
- The result was a sound thrashing in seven of the eight games.
- Meanwhile Chelsea have transformed themselves from the one-nil kings to thrashing teams like the Arsenal of old.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.