In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1okiuro masculinelombriz intestinal feminine
- The threadworm, Enterobius vermicularis, is the commonest worm parasite of children in non-tropical areas such as northern Europe.
- One of their main parasites is a gut nematode, the caecal threadworm T. tenuis, which has a direct lifestyle with no alternative hosts within the same habitat.
- Little threadworms and hookworms are about one centimetre long, while roundworms are about 20 cm long and our friend the tapeworm can reach up to 10 metres in length.
- Rectally administered tobacco infusions - whether employed against pinworms, roundworms, tapeworms, or threadworms - proved an effective vermifuge in sixteenth-century Europe.
- An enema of asafoetida is effective in treating threadworms and other intestinal parasites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.