In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tres cuartosthree-quarter(-length) sleeve — manga tres cuartos feminine
1(in rugby)tres cuartos masculine
- The pack began to dominate in set pieces, and supply their nimble three-quarters with ample, quality ball.
- Similarly, handling errors in their three-quarters allowed Streatham breathing space when in defence.
- From a ruck in the middle of the field the ball was flashed across the three-quarters.
- York weathered the onslaught and their stylised and pacey three-quarters in turn began to threaten.
- But it is in the three-quarters where most of the problems have been this season and were evident again yesterday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.