In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(doorway)umbral masculineto be on the threshold of sth — estar en el umbral / a las puertas de algo
- They were standing at the threshold of her room.
- George enters the house, crossing its threshold with one broad step.
- Caitlyn was still with Connor when I entered, the two having just barely crossed the threshold of the room.
- Remove raised doorway thresholds in all rooms.
- As the door opened soundlessly, she crossed the threshold and entered into the room.
- Armand stood at the threshold of her curtained room, wondering whether to go in or not.
- Make sure basement doors have a threshold or sweep that properly fits.
- Remove the shoe moldings, trim pieces, door thresholds, and floor grates carefully, using a pry bar and a scrap of wood for a leverage wedge so as not to mar the baseboard.
- You should choose the appropriate door sweeps and thresholds for the bottom of the doors as well.
- The smell from that place was so strong, it used to make my friend J. violently ill if we even crossed the threshold at the local mall.
- I crossed the threshold and re-entered the house, which was buzzing with undying activity.
- So that's why I am happy to look at scientology girl, but will never dare cross the threshold and enter the building.
- French brides stepped upon an egg before crossing the threshold of their new homes.
- For a lot of people just the simple step of entering a church, crossing the threshold, is enormous.
- These prefabricated door thresholds are for use where two rooms with different floor levels come together.
- Here a convex vinyl ridge across the top of the threshold presses against the bottom of the door for a tight seal against drafts.
- Door weather stripping is installed on the door frame except for door sweeps and some thresholds.
- Emily was in tears before she crossed the threshold into her room.
- For those who have not crossed the threshold of a mill for many years, this will be a chance to experience again the sights, smells and sounds of life in a mill.
- SureStep is a technology that allows the wheelchair to climb over thresholds up to 3 in.
- Josh stood over the threshold the doorway, smiling to be polite.
2(limit)umbral masculinelímite masculinethe threshold of consciousness — el umbral de la conciencia
- pain threshold — umbral de dolor
- I have a low pain threshold — tengo bajo el umbral de dolor
- he has a low boredom threshold — aguanta poco sin aburrirse
- before noun threshold price — precio de umbral
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.