In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(all over)she was famous throughout Europe/the world — era famosa en toda Europa/en todo el mundo / en el mundo entero
- there were notices throughout the building — había avisos por todo el edificio
2(in time)it rained continuously throughout the afternoon/the weekend — llovió sin parar (durante) toda la tarde/todo el fin de semana
- throughout her/his career — a lo largo de toda su carrera
1(all over)totalmentethe house is carpeted throughout — la casa está totalmente alfombrada
- News of his sudden death was received with shock and sadness throughout his home area.
- Julia was a good natured and kind lady who was well liked throughout the local community.
- On average they achieve lower attainment in SATS tests and exams throughout school.
- Ashoka is famous for the edicts he ordered to be carved on rocks and pillars throughout his kingdom.
- There are very few people throughout the United States who do not have some knowledge of the Pentagon.
- His sudden and untimely death was met with much sadness and shock throughout the area.
- Since it was set up its service has expanded until it has become a valued lifeline for people throughout the area.
- Before long the story spread throughout the city of the crazy man who had purchased a dream.
- Parking attendants will be enforcing parking restrictions throughout the borough.
- He also pointed out that wandering dogs did a lot of damage to sheep throughout the country.
- Regular newsletters will be sent out to people throughout the district as the scheme progresses.
- The severe heat has resulted in a record number of deaths throughout the East Coast.
- The order covers the teenager's movements throughout the whole of England and Wales.
- His positive attitude to life and his devotion to help people in need is illustrated throughout the book.
- The quality throughout was of the highest order, especially the young steer class.
- The job losses will be throughout the plant, mainly among production and engineering staff.
- She was always greeted with great warmth in North Yorkshire, as she was throughout the kingdom.
- Kia has also updated the instrument cluster and door trims and there is a feel of better quality throughout.
- Armed police will be on foot patrol throughout Greater Manchester between now and the New Year.
- This and a host of other community support projects reduce the numbers of fires throughout the region.
2(in time)desde el principio hasta el finshe listened in silence throughout — escuchó en silencio desde el principio hasta el fin
- his behavior throughout was irreproachable — su conducta nunca dejó de ser intachable
- Once again Hull Truck Theatre hosts a series of events throughout the festival.
- He was in fact working very hard for the forum and continued to throughout the period of the conspiracy.
- A number of events are taking place throughout September as part of the festival.
- The Drive programme will have extensive coverage throughout this glamorous event.
- Two pots of each genotype were irrigated throughout the period as controls.
- Many more local groups and activists are planning events throughout the week.
- I think he has handled himself with dignity throughout and I know he has worked hard to achieve all he has.
- It seemed that there was no assistance at all throughout the whole period.
- We had obstacles from the beginning of the weekend throughout the whole race.
- Our barrister complimented all my family for the dignity they showed throughout the trial.
- It starts with a guided walk on Sunday and the events will continue throughout the summer.
- Christmas, Mothers' Day and Easter are the bumper sales events throughout the year.
- Trained personal advisors will be on standby throughout the exam results period.
- Conditions throughout the event were difficult, with continuous rain and a cold wind.
- The society of orders had its defenders throughout the eighteenth century and beyond.
- Everywhere Caetano went throughout his visit he was met with angry protests.
- We did our best to keep you informed of all events happening locally throughout the year.
- To complete the record each of the swimmers must swim for an hour in the same order throughout the attempt.
- Ethnic craft stalls will be situated in the common room throughout the event.
- I had periods throughout both pregnancies and I just thought I was putting on weight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.