In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in soccer, basketball)saque de banda masculine
- The ball was played direct from a goal kick or throw-in.
- It is not just questionable penalty decisions that could be referred upstairs, but also throw-ins, corners, free kicks; the list goes on.
- But Gavin switched off and allowed Martin Butler to slip past him and collect Shaun Barker's long throw-in.
- Dolan said he was baffled by referee Mike Jones' failure to penalise Exeter for delaying tactics at restarts and throw-ins.
- Portugal take the throw-in and immediately resume stroking the ball around purposefully.
- After a sustained period of pressure, Djorkaff nodded the ball down from a throw-in and into the path of the striker on the left-hand side of the area.
- However, poor marking at a needlessly conceded 84 th-minute throw-in allowed the visitors to steal a point and grind out a draw.
- Silvestre helps him mop up by Heskeying the ball out for a throw-in.
- His fourth minute throw-in sent Dave Henry away and the midfielder's right wing cross was swept in from five yards by Nesovic.
- A throw-in started the sequence before Robson volleyed home a Paul Mariner cross.
- No offside offence is committed if the player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, throw-in or corner kick.
- Are they actually including throw-ins as shots now?
- Sergio finds Valeron, who loses the ball but wins a throw-in.
- An intermittent pettiness about where throw-ins and free kicks are taken from that defies logic is to be expected.
- He boots it up the field and Ball concedes a throw-in deep in the Stuttgart half.
- It's swung in from the right and Sol Campbell's unconvincing attempt at a clearance goes out for a Celta Vigo throw-in.
- He told us to appeal for every throw-in, corner and free kick; no matter how dodgy the claim was.
- Your average team will catch a ball if the throw-in is at the opposition's try line and then give it out to the backs, but not the Hawks.
- The predictable jeering began as he collected the ball from a throw-in and cut inside the penalty area.
- Every tackle, every throw-in, every debatable decision is furiously contestable so that the hero can redeem United's followers.
2(in baseball)lanzamiento masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.