In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1empujarsacarclavarhe thrust her against the wall — la empujó contra la pared
- she thrust her head out of the window — sacó la cabeza por la ventana
- he thrust out his chest — sacó pecho
- to thrust sth at sb
- to thrust sth into sth
- she thrust the book at me — me tendió el libro bruscamente / con agresividad
- he thrust his knife into the bundle — clavó su cuchillo en el fardo
- he thrust his sword into the ground — clavó / hincó su espada en la tierra
- he thrust his hands into his pockets — se metió las manos en los bolsillos
- they thrust him into the room — lo metieron a la fuerza en la habitación
- he was thrust into the role of ... — le impusieron el papel de ...
- she thrust the thought to the back of her mind — apartó la idea de la cabeza
- he thrust his way into the crowded hall — entró abriéndose paso a empujones entre la gente que abarrotaba la sala
- It was only through the abdication of Edward VIII in 1936, that, suddenly, she was thrust into the limelight, and became our Queen.
- Burly Paddy, who's at the helm, suddenly thrusts a fishing rod into my hand.
- So how does such a creative, quietly self-possessing group of young men handle the fame and fortune that has so suddenly been thrust upon them this year?
- A full paper bag was thrust at her, and the door shut, leaving her in stifled silence.
- Suddenly she thrust her fist forward and struck the wall.
- Then the bowl is thrust at me with battered wooden chopsticks and a porcelain spoon.
- An empty, demanding hand is thrust at us, and we press money into it.
- I've got a huge family and suddenly she has been thrust into the middle of this completely different way of life.
- This endless cycle of doctors being thrust at you like hot bullets from a machine gun has far too much potential for deadly mishaps and malpractice.
- Suddenly, John is thrust into a whole new world of motion, music, camaraderie and passion.
- She gasped suddenly, thrusting a hand to her head, pushing back her styled hair abruptly and entangling her fingers in it.
- I shot him a look, but was soon ambushed by a sheaf of papers being thrust at me.
- Rae dropped his sword from tired, numb fingers, and he saw the Guardian's blade sail through the air as it was thrust at his chest.
- He was living the rock and roll lifestyle, going to endless parties where free champagne was thrust at him and he took advantage of it.
- I'm there again, fighting at the bar for a drink and suddenly a hand is thrust in front of me.
- He sounded rather quizzical and calm despite the equivalent of an Uzi being thrust at his throat.
- Suddenly being thrust on to the opposite side of the fence was something of a culture shock.
- They wax garrulous when mikes are thrust at them, and queue up, or SMS furiously to get on to reality shows.
- It was the shot line, and without thinking he thrust out his hand to grab it.
- It was a woman photographer, with dyed blonde hair showing from beneath her headscarf, who thrust me most violently out of her way.
- A black van pulled up, badges were thrust at me after the door opened, and I hopped in.
1(with sword)dar estocadasto thrust at sb — tirarle una estocada a algn
2(push)he thrust past me — pasó por mi lado apartándome bruscamente
- the army thrust south — el ejército se abrió camino hacia el sur
1(with sword)estocada feminine
3(advance, attack)ofensiva feminine
4(general direction)this is consistent with the thrust of their reforms — esto es coherente con el carácter / la tendencia general de sus reformas
- the (main) thrust of the report is that ... — la idea central del informe es que ...
5(impetus)empuje masculinefuerza feminine
6Aerospace Aviation Nauticalpropulsión feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.