In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The thugs raided the village and began firing their guns to terrorise the farmers.
- Take a leap of faith that even though he looks like a thug, he is not necessarily a thug.
- Another such family has quit York altogether before suffering violence at the hands of the thugs.
- It seemed like the entire black elite of America was there and also a large number of underworld thugs.
- Drastic measures need to be taken such as dusk to dawn curfews on thugs and yobs roaming our neighbourhood.
- I am sick of the mindless thugs who think they have a right to disrupt other people's lives.
- There is no reason why a thug should be immune from the ordinary criminal law.
- The peaceful majority should never again have to suffer at the hands of mindless thugs.
- The Tories are anxious not to upset anybody these days, even thugs and criminals.
- Hooligans behave like thugs smashing up anyone and everything in their paths.
- He is stereotyping young people today who wear hoods and caps as yobs and thugs.
- Police have formed a hospital force in the war on thieves and thugs who target staff and patients.
- A frail widow was brutally robbed of her life savings in her own home by a violent thug who left her with a broken arm and leg.
- Alcohol wrecks lives and families and too often transforms people into violent thugs.
- He said tougher standards were needed to crack down on thugs and drunken yobs.
- A footballer today told how he was beaten up by a gang of thugs who left him unable to play for his team.
- Spend some more on getting rid of the gangs of young thugs that roam around on our buses and trains.
- Three schoolboys on a day out at Salford Quays were stabbed by a gang of thugs near the Lowry arts centre.
- A public meeting is to be held to discuss the rising tide of violence involving young thugs in west York.
- One of his ancestors suppressed a riot by laying low a man called Murphy, a thug at the head of a mob who was wielding a wire whip.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.