In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tormenta eléctrica feminine
- Lightning easily strikes many miles from the edge of the thunderstorm.
- The thunderstorms that spin out tornadoes are big clouds with lots of water and ice in them to block sunlight.
- Lines of thunderstorms that cause one downburst after another are called derechoes.
- On past experience this heatwave will end with a torrential downpour or a major thunderstorm, or both.
- The most significant features of the wet season are thunderstorms, tropical cyclones and rain depressions.
- The start of the tie had been delayed after Friday's schedule was washed out with hours of rain, thunderstorms and lightning.
- Marks said the herd gathered around a tall tree to shelter during a thunderstorm when lightning struck the tree.
- If it is very unstable then thunderstorms or tornadoes can easily form, whereas if it is very stable nothing of the sort would happen.
- The front's passage may be marked by thunderstorms or, if rainfall has been very low for a prolonged period, a wall of dust.
- Tornadic thunderstorms can also produce waterspouts and downbursts.
- He said temperatures will remain high on Monday and Tuesday but thunderstorms and heavy rain could also be expected.
- The arrival of summer brings increased chances of thunderstorms and dangerous lightning.
- Last night East London appeared to be getting its share of the rain, with heavy thunderstorms in the early evening.
- Monday dawned with thunderstorms and a downpour of tropical intensity, but by midday the sun was out again.
- Of course, real lightning from thunderstorms is far more powerful.
- We have the lightning strokes of thunderstorms, we have the sudden downpours out of a clear sky.
- Search conditions varied from fine weather to thunderstorms and heavy squalls.
- Humidity, torrential rain and thunderstorms ensured that the disease continued to spread and many more crops were destroyed.
- These thunderstorms often produce heavy precipitation, which can cause soil erosion.
- You know when you take a photo of a thunderstorm, and the lightning is all purple or pink?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.