In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)tibetano masculinetibetana feminine
- Minorities most often cited are Tibetans and Uygurs, a Muslim group from northwestern China.
- Although some scholars doubt the historicity of this debate, it epitomizes the rejection of Chinese forms of Buddhism by the Tibetans.
- He is one of a small group of elite Tibetans who joined the Communist Party early and have been carefully groomed for power.
- At current rates of inward migration, native Tibetans will soon become a minority.
- The Tibetans produced a dog slightly modified from the Chinese dog of a similar ancestry which was the Lhasa Apso.
- The nonchalant attitudes of these cadres and disrespect toward the Tibetans and their religion has been highly damaging.
- Such Indian hospitality, however modest, has greatly helped the Tibetans.
- It tells the story of a traditional trek across the Himalayas by Tibetans, looking to trade salt for grain.
- The film highlights the identity crisis of young Tibetans, their aspirations and their love for their nation.
- From this time, the Tibetans evolved a distinct but simple civilization founded on the idea of the interdependence of man and nature.
- From the beginning of the ninth century AD, the region was settled by Tibetans migrating south.
- And of course the yak is as indispensable to the Ladakhis as it is to the Tibetans.
- Thousands of local Qinghai Mongolians and Tibetans were mobilized to participate in the task.
- The Tibetans will continue to infuse American science with a Buddhist component.
- The language of the Sherpas, called Sherpa or Sherpali, is a dialect of Tibetan, although it has borrowed heavily from neighboring languages.
- Tibetan communities made efforts to teach more subject courses in Tibetan in primary and secondary schools.
- Nepali is the official language, but Rai and Tibetan are also spoken.
- A copy in the original Sanskrit is extant as well as a translation in Tibetan.
- Suddenly, one of his entourage - dormant until now - leaps up and speaks quickly to the Dalai Lama in Tibetan.
- Written in Tibetan and English, this striking, culturally rich tale is dedicated to Tibetans born in exile.
- In part, that's because the tale is long, complex and research requires knowledge of Tibetan, not an easy language to master.
- The second was a lady who taught others to speak Tibetan.
- Mine was translated into Tibetan and His Holiness liked it so much that he said that he wanted to meet me and discuss things.
- I like to speak in Tibetan, but prefer to write in English, I like to sing in Hindi but my tune and accent are all wrong.
- Most of the words in the texts are literary Tibetan, which many of them don't know.
- He was also an accomplished linguist speaking nine foreign languages including Chinese and Tibetan.
- The name translates from Tibetan as ‘five treasures of the great snow’, relating to the mountain's quintet of perilous peaks.
- The official language of Bhutan is Dzongkha, a dialect of Tibetan.
- He says something in Tibetan to his assistant who writes a prescription and the exam is over.
- Important documents are translated into major minority tongues and four of them - Tibetan, Mongolian, Uighur and Zhuang - appear on Chinese bank notes.
- To illustrate but one benefit of being educated in India, Tibetans brought up there speak fluent Tibetan - a privilege non-existent to those born elsewhere.
- He speaks and reads Chinese and Tibetan and knows more about the fantastical, complex history of the various forms of Himalayan Buddhism than anyone I've ever met.
- In fact, the revised version was so popular that it was translated into Tibetan, Arabic, English and many other Indian languages.
- Why call something by some Tibetan or Sanskrit or whatever name when you have a perfectly good English phrase to use?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.