In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine boletomasculine billete Spainmasculine pasajemasculine billete Spainfeminine entradamasculine ticketmasculine ticketmasculine resguardomasculine billetemasculine númeromasculine ticketpawn ticket — papeleta de empeños feminine
- that role was his ticket to fame — ese papel fue su pasaporte a la fama
- to be (just) the ticket
- this screwdriver is just the ticket — este destornillador es justo lo que se necesita
- a glass of sherry: that's just the ticket! — una copa de jerez: esto viene como anillo al dedo
- before noun ticket agency — agencia de venta de localidades
- ticket barrier — barrera de control de billetes — punto de acceso al andén, donde hay que presentar el billete
- ticket collector
- ticket inspector — inspectora
- ticket machine — máquina expendedora de billetes
- ticket taker — revisora
- These days the travelers validate their purple tickets or season ticket coupons at automatic turnstiles.
- They sign a contract to present one performance of their work in April, and to help sell tickets and publicize the event.
- Apparently, they were issuing two and three tickets to each season ticket holder and that's why they ran out.
- Most travel agents charge a fee to deliver paper tickets.
- The man came by to check their tickets and their travel permits, but appeared not to be suspicious.
- They have price tickets and bar codes attached.
- However, it is necessary to use a paper ticket for international travel.
- Early booking of tickets for the event is advisable as tickets are limited.
- They each handed their tickets to the ticket taker and entered the plane.
- They let season ticket holders sell tickets they otherwise wouldn't use.
- Organizers warned yesterday that holders of fraudulent tickets would not be admitted to World Cup events.
- In addition to the movie tickets, he preserves even the entry tickets to all entertainment events like circus and magic shows.
- All season ticket holders managed to get tickets, but many faced lengthy waits.
- Shipped in a large container from somewhere in the Far East or Eastern Europe, the label and the price ticket will probably have been added in a sweatshop in the north of England.
- Festival passes are available for $75 and are exchangeable for tickets to six performance events.
- The objective is to stop people passing used public transport tickets to each other.
- An all-in ticket costs €60, but you can get tickets for individual events as well.
- The airline has announced it would charge travel agents a $55 fee if they requested paper tickets for domestic flights from July 1.
- Travelers who buy tickets with credit cards can typically get refunds from the credit card company if an airline fails.
- The busway tickets are sold in two ways: vouchers for a certain amount of money in the form of a ‘smart card’ and regular tickets for each trip.
- Raffle tickets for the event are now on sale and admission on the night will be £5.
- Although technically open to the public, entry was limited to holders of scarce tickets of admission.
2.2(for traffic violation)multa feminine
- The next thing I knew, a traffic ticket was on the windshield of that car, and the blond-haired woman who owned the car came out a few hours later to see it.
- If you owe child support or have outstanding traffic tickets, the guards, theoretically, will know.
- And if you owe money for traffic tickets, we could track you down.
- Endorsable tickets for offences such as speeding and passing red lights, lead to three points on your licence and a £60 fine.
- A total of 24 people received tickets for traffic offences.
- Everyone looks to take advantage of every loophole available when paying taxes, paying a traffic ticket, appearing for jury duty or whatever.
- They wrote out 35 tickets for other offences across the weekend.
- It also leads me to realize that many motorists here have no regard for the law, and are in full realization that failure to pay a traffic ticket fine will not bring you a penalty, at least not too soon anyway.
- I like to think that women get away without traffic tickets more often than men.
- As well as nowhere to park I discovered three traffic wardens eagerly sticking tickets on any and every car that had attempted to park where they could.
- The fact of the matter is that the police see a range of policing as important to reduce crime, including the issuing of tickets for traffic offences.
- Still, the news came at a bad time: Esteban was trying to pay off traffic tickets and send money back to his family in Veracruz.
- Our current fines, applied after many warnings, are so small they amount to a traffic ticket.
- You know, a traffic ticket was what she really was responsible for, and she ended up going to prison for committing a felony.
- You give them a warning, it's like a traffic ticket.
- Nearby, a business called Latin American Services promises help with plane fares, income tax forms, and traffic tickets.
- Over-zealous traffic wardens have slapped tickets on two Radcliffe traders outside their own shops, even though they were unloading stock.
- The highest fine that was listed on the ticket was for eight dollars.
- The provincial government is increasing fines and penalties for provincial offences, including speeding tickets, as of August 1st.
- Ideally, punishment for marijuana-related offences would be similar to a traffic ticket, or an open alcohol offence.
- Now even a local police officer writing a traffic ticket can determine that a violator is subject to a deportation order and presumably make an arrest.
2.3informal (permit)licencia feminine
3.1(list of candidates)lista femininehe ran on the Republican ticket — se presentó como candidato republicano
- to vote the straight Democratic ticket — votar a candidatos demócratas para todos los cargos
- to split the ticket — votar a candidatos de diferentes partidos para distintos cargos
- The Dems already have someone, but any party who has any candidate on the ticket is eligible if they don't already have a rep.
- The vice presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket is the attack dog.
- On Sunday in the Sligo Park Hotel, they will select three candidates on the party ticket.
- Even Republican Jews are praising Gore's choice of Lieberman, an Orthodox Jew and the first Jew to run on the national ticket of a major party.
- On December 1, both parties announced they will be fielding a joint ticket of candidates under the name of the Kurdish Unity List.
- If four candidates on a single ticket were all to get into Legco they would require the support of nearly the entire constituency.
- But I do want to encourage people to shake up university politics by not voting in a full ticket of candidates, which has happened in the last several elections.
- Mr Lane said that by the whole district voting the temptation was there not to put two strong female candidates on the ticket.
- For this reason, parties seek to ensure that their own voters follow the party ticket and transfer their votes to another candidate of the same party.
- No candidates running in Iowa in the past 30 years joined together on the Democratic ticket in the election.
- I was hoping there'd be an antiwar candidate on the ticket and was disappointed when Kerry picked Edwards.
- Rather than seeking that co-option in September last, Phyllis was selected as a second candidate on the ticket in an effort to take a second seat.
- She will never win a place on a national Republican ticket as a candidate for president or vice president.
- All three believe it is imperative that a candidate from this region is on the party ticket come the next General Election.
- But I don't get to vote for a fantasy ticket; I have to choose between the candidates selected for me.
- Now there's another story, which is Lieberman, the first Jewish candidate, Orthodox Jewish candidate on a national ticket.
- But what about boosting the ticket before the elections?
- Not wanting to run on the same ticket as the LaRouche candidates, Stevenson was listed on the ballot as an independent that year.
- It helped Cr Gates defeat Cr Irwin on preferences and ensured the other members of his ticket, Crs John Hampton and Brian Suffolk, were elected.
- Flannery would be a good candidate on any party ticket and will put in a strong campaign over the coming weeks.
3.2(policy)programa masculineprograma político masculineprograma electoral masculine
- The Iraqi Shias have produced a unity ticket for the elections under the direction of Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, the leading Iraqi Shia cleric.
- Progress fought the election on an anti-immigrant ticket.
- I would like to vote, this year or sometime, for a ticket and a party that is pro-life, pro-family, and pro-poor.
- The ‘unity’ of the presidential ticket rarely survived the election.
- Alan Jones is an old mate of Turnbull's and naturally supports the ticket and the new constitution.
- The team is expected to lobby several political parties in a bid to win their support for the ticket in the runoff, he said.
- I believe that we have been effective champions of our ticket's policies and principles, and that we have achieved much both locally and across the city.
- Are there candidates on the anti-globalisation ticket, then, Tony?
- It raises the prospect of the Lib Dems going into the election on a ticket backing extra powers for the Parliament, putting at odds with Labour.
- The concept of going forward with a unity ticket that was bipartisan was always something that we had on the table.
- Earl F. Dodge has run for President on the Prohibition ticket in every election since 1984.
- If he's wrong, the only way he'll win their support is through a very-big ticket policy that Green groups believe is worth it.
- Just ahead, the Democratic ticket is official, and the game is underway.
- Yet the war shapes other campaigns too, and if Dean falters then there is another candidate on the anti-war ticket: General Wesley Clark.
- Mr Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran, calculated that he didn't need to add foreign policy heft to the ticket.
- In Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who swept to power on an election ticket of uncompromising Islamism, the cabal of conservative mullahs have a president to their liking.
- People are getting no satisfaction and they are strongly considering having somebody stand in the May elections on a ticket of keeping the school open.
- The party won a resounding victory at the parliamentary elections on a ticket of law and order, and tax cuts.
- These numbers suggest that a coalition of Islamic parties supporting a single ticket could have won the presidency.
- So I think that most of these people are just being given this as a reward for basically soldiering on and supporting the ticket.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.