In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Geographymarca que deja la mareathe current figure is well below the tidemark of 1979 — las cifras actuales están muy por debajo de las cotas alcanzadas en 1979
- When a high tide occurs and the tidemark reaches beyond the normal beach line, this tends to create certain element of fear in the people.
- It was, I felt, scenically enhanced by its proximity to the Dodder River, even though it was the cause of the water tidemarks on the internal walls, the area having flooded a few years back.
- In a review article, he concluded that physical factors were most important to determine the upper and lower limits of intertidal communities, but biological factors predominated in life between the tidemarks.
- I have seen them feeding at the tidemark with snow buntings and pipits and they also find seeds in the marram hills.
2British informal(around bath, on neck)marca de mugre femininecerco de mugre masculine
- In any case, I am far too busy breaking up concrete in my backyard and repainting the growing tidemark on my ceiling where the air-conditioner leaked.
- Check that the tea/coffee tidemark is being rubbed off.
- It rises up to the narrow tidemark and with a swift flick of his wrists, it squeaks to a stop.
- I still have the clay tidemarks on my shoes (having worn them not my walking boots, as my walking boots are in a box somewhere).
- ‘There was no tidemark - just a few signs of damp because the dehumidifiers are still taking out two gallons a day,’ he added.
- I wash my dishes weekly, bath tidemarks don't distract me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.