In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Side panels can be fully operational to traverse across your window, or they can be stationary - held in place by tie-backs or ornate holdbacks.
- Extravagantly romantic lace, ribbons, tie-backs and bows will also be very much in vogue.
- The tasseled cord tie-backs give the indulgent fabric a monkish touch.
- I haven't witnessed as much fussing with curtain tie-backs since I last tuned into Changing Rooms.
- However, it's increasingly common to see decorative drapery rods, poles, finials, tie-backs, brackets and accent pieces as the focal point of the window - and, indeed in some cases, of the entire room.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.