In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The chasing games alone include Disney tig (you shout ‘Mickey Mouse’ if caught), toilet tig (requiring a flushing arm movement) and ghost tig (played with eyes closed).
- Tales were told of playing hopscotch, tig and gerallies, of home births, courting and marriages.
- Even so, it is clearly an expensive alternative to football in the park or tig in the playground.
- It seems that after school we always played out, all our games were on the streets, statues, tig, truth or dare.
- Will and Ben deserted Jim at the gate to the dusty yard to pay tig with the chickens they had to put in the coop.
- I saw boys and girls playing tig, football and chasing each other around the manicured green area adjacent to the school.
- Sadly, it was not painless for Lucy who loves nothing more than to run and play tig with other dogs.
- Thanks to the wheelchair she can fetch things herself and even enjoy a game of tig with her brothers.
- We had a good time and had a couple of games of tig.
- Years ago, children played football and tig in the street, but they are not necessarily doing that any more and we are trying to come up with things that they like, to get them active again.
- So time went by very fast, we were now playing outdoor games like tig, hide and seek and marbles or ‘Taws’, as we knew them.
- They move around Leslie Travers' park design and climbing wall in free-running moves choreographed by Wayne Stables; they play tig, until Nicola plays a more dangerous game.
- They are stone deaf, they fly up and down the road and play tig with the buses.
- Playtime is good fun and we play basketball, tig and football.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.