In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for ballet etc)malla femininemallas feminineleotardo masculineleotardos masculine
- He is dressed as a jester in tights and a wide satin blue and white striped shirt.
- Whether in tights or bare-legged, a dancer expects his body to be scrutinized.
- The rule is you should dress in tights and leotards that contrast with the background.
- She had her hair up and was dressed in a black leotard with pink tights.
- Almost all ballet schools require pink, footed tights for girls and black tights and white socks for boys.
- He was the character, if you'll recall, who had issues with purchasing dancing tights for fear of looking foolish.
- Smith gave Mandy not only a new leotard, but tights and ballet shoes too.
- He first interviewed a costume researcher to find out where the tradition of wearing tights came from.
- He still looks like the dancer he no longer is, after hanging up his tights in the spring of 2000.
- I never sweat and my body temperature drops as soon as I strip down to a leotard and tights after my warm up.
- The ballet opens with a short solo for Nikolaj Hübbe, clothed in a white shirt and tights.
- We were desperate to emulate our heroes in Bulgaria and Russia, so we ripped our ballet tights and wore our sweatshirts inside out.
- Once a nation that liked its dancing men in tights, we now adore Baryshnikov in his boiler suit, strutting his stuff with a set of ladders.
- There are some male dancers for whom tights, you feel, are a perk of the job.
- Rather than High Renaissance men in tights, English Touring Theatre's Romeo And Juliet starts with men in fights.
- I glanced down and took in my leotard and my tights and then raised a hand as if to acknowledge the comment.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.