In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Sportcronometrador masculinecronometradora feminine
- Falling exhausted across the finish line the official timekeeper handed him a slip of paper with the time 3.59.4.
- While the timekeepers claimed they had been forced to take their cue from the umpire, Chiltern's loss left a bitter taste that flavoured matches against Greta for almost five decades.
- One conscientious timekeeper would note these interruptions, as well as the reason for a worker's absence.
- Bernie Ecclestone appointed us as the sport's official timekeepers.
- Brian Thornton was one of the principal organisers of the Galway Rally and served as an official timekeeper at many motor sport events throughout Ireland.
- With Area Governor, Brendan O'Doherty, in attendance and supported by a willing team of timekeepers, judges and helpers, the competition got off to a flying start.
- Gene, stunned, insists that he should do it again for an official timekeeper while Finny insists that he wants his feat to be kept a secret.
- Say thank you to the officials and that includes the scorekeeper and the timekeeper.
- This season, each player on the women's hockey team had to pay $125 each to cover association fees, tournament fees, referees and timekeepers.
- But the rudimentary nature of his timings and the lack of a second timekeeper to confirm the speed meant the locomotive's record-breaking status is still disputed by railway enthusiasts.
- It's a nice touch to say thanks to the people who make the game work: the timekeeper, the scorekeeper and the refs.
- After the first run over the measured kilometre, the timekeeper shouted, ‘Plus 47!’
- The pair were so close at the finishing the line, the timekeepers were unable to separate them, although the judges awarded Lebid victory by a couple of inches.
- Cando are looking to recruit volunteers who are prepared to act as referees and timekeepers.
- Meetings followed a structured agenda; roles of leader, timekeeper, and recorder were designated.
- There would be enough officials and the timekeepers would be qualified and registered.
- The timekeepers were unable to separate the world record holder and the Jamaican, after the pair crossed the line shoulder-to-shoulder in 7.58s.
- This time, because the clock had not been reset to three seconds, a horn blew from the timekeeper's table before the Soviets made the long pass.
- Managers have to discipline themselves to set clear goals and measurable outcomes for teleworking employees rather than acting as timekeepers.
- Floyd couldn't believe it, and rushed to the photo finish area and the timekeepers to check the result.
2British(worker)to be a good/bad timekeeper — ser puntual/impuntual
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.