In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Could you add carbon to titanium or vanadium to make them even harder and stronger?
- That's stuff's a weird alloy made out of titanium and God knows what else.
- For example, titanium is more resistant to corrosion than most steel alloys and is also half the density of steel.
- It was titanium with a large glowing sword painted on the heavy silver door.
- As is the case with steel, titanium is alloyed with other metals to increase its strength.
- Other residual deposits are sources of chromium, titanium, rare-earth elements, and even gold.
- Silver is a white grey metal which is softer than gold, platinum and titanium.
- Scandium is an element with the resilience of titanium and the light weight of aluminum.
- This is true of highly hardened aluminum alloys as well as titanium alloys and hardened steels.
- Types of metals which are commonly used are stainless steel, gold, titanium and platinum.
- We've come a long way with handguns, from iron to steel to stainless to alloy to titanium.
- The zoning is caused by fluctuations in the concentration of iron versus titanium.
- Some of these new guns have bigger bores but are even lighter in weight due to the modern miracle of titanium.
- He is a firm supporter of titanium, the metal that is used in everything from golf clubs to airplanes.
- The effect of titanium and vanadium on the strength of wrought alloys appears to be negligible.
- This effect is completely absent in partially substituted steel without titanium.
- Implants are commonly made of titanium, a metal that is well-tolerated by the body.
- Fairly strong bonds of titanium with itself, copper, and steel have been produced.
- A flat plate of steel alloy or titanium replaces the top end of the tibia.
- A metal additive in the charge, such as titanium or tungsten, gives the flame a sparkling effect.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.