In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of foot)masculine dedoI dipped a toe in the water — metí la punta del pie en el agua
- to step / tread on sb's toes — pisar a algn
- I have a giant blister on the bottom of my big toe and my feet still hurt.
- A corn usually occurs on the tops of toes, especially the little toe, while a callus is found on the bottom of the foot.
- Paul described how surgeons formed a new thumb on his right hand from the big toe on the foot that they had amputated hours earlier.
- Though the toes of the human foot are generally not capable of independent or precise movement, the flexor muscles of the big toe are vital to our gait.
- The pressure from the big toe pushing inwards affects the other toes.
- He has broken the metatarsal bone alongside big toe, one of five such bones in each foot.
- I type this having regained the feeling in my fingers, toes, trapezius, gluteus maximus and cerebral cortex.
- The videos show the fetus's fingers and toes, hair, muscles, facial features, and genitals and show it sucking a thumb or moving about.
- The surgery repaired a torn tendon that attached his big toe to his right foot.
- A bunion occurs as a result of a deformity in the big toe known as hallux valgus, where hallux means the big toe and valgus means abnormal bending towards the other toes.
- It can affect anywhere but usually attacks the big toes or feet and ankles.
- Seven months ago, Joe awoke from a sound sleep with an awful pain in his big toe.
- To do toe taps, all the toes are lifted off the floor and, keeping the heel on the floor and the outside four toes in the air, the big toe is tapped to the floor repetitively.
- Up until now a lot of attention has been paid to the effect of these shoes on the formation of bunions and on problems of the middle foot and big toe.
- You may develop ulcerations on your lower legs, ankles, feet or toes.
- But you can also have bursitis by your knee, heel and even in the base of your big toe.
- If you put your index finger between your big toe and your second toe and then slide it up an inch toward your ankle, you can feel a pulse.
- I had a jagged edge on the toenail on my big toe and it got caught in the heavy comforter on the bed while I was asleep and pulled half of my toenail off.
- The foot is normally structured so that the big toe is naturally in line with the long bone leading up to it (the first metatarsal) and all the toes spread outwards from this.
- He had distinctive brown eyebrows, wore dentures and was missing the big toe on his right foot.
2feminine puntafeminine punterafeminine punta
- Anyway, just make sure they're flat and have a round toe and no strap.
- I grabbed onto the ledge just outside the window and started climbing down by squeezing the toes of my sneakers into the nooks of the brick building.
- Then there was the rider from California who wore high fashion boots with pointy toes and four inch spike heels.
- Little turquoise straps secure an apple-green sole, squared-off at the toe.
- Her white woolen dress hung low, almost covering the toes of her own leather boots.
- I especially love the pointy toes and kitten heels, giving it extra style and some height, making it distinctly feminine.
- She was wearing a pair of ankle-high, chocolate-colored suede boots with narrow toes and tall, stiletto heels.
- For the office, leather soles with closed toes are a fashion statement.
- The duo behind the jeans has come out with a line of the most adorable mocs yet, featuring brightly colored fur lining and whimsical beaded designs on the toe.
- Cloth shoes do not provide this protection, nor does footwear with open toes and/or heels.
- I looked away from him and studied the toes of my sneakers as I tried to remember life before Dean.
- I dropped my cigarette to the ground and put it out with the toe of my sneakers.
- She wore long black stockings and one of her shoes was missing a sole and the other had a hole near the toes.
- Here's another pair of ankle boots, only these boast a pointier toe.
- The trend in dress shoes is more of a square toe, rather than wingtips.
- If you make the toes a different colour, you needn't worry about having the fading match or the dye lots and you can just keep knitting new toes as required.
- She looked down at the thick carpet of her room, digging the toe of her sneakers into the floral pattern.
- Her cloths weren't new, they were old and worn in and had holes in the knees and elbows and the toes of her sneakers were taped crudely.
- Put powder in shoes, making sure to sift down into the toes.
- Also known as slides, these types of shoes feature open heels or toes, and come in a variety of styles, shapes and colors.
1(ball) tocar con la punta del pie
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.