In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine baño Latin Americamasculine servicio Spainmasculine váter Spain informalmasculine watermasculine váter Spainfeminine tazamasculine inodoromasculine excusado datedto go to the toilet — ir al váter
- to throw / flush sth down the toilet — tirar algo por el váter
- public toilets — servicios
- Toilets on the first floor are only available to those attending meetings.
- They should not be flushed down the toilet or sink.
- Toilets overflow, pipes leak and refuse piles up in the stairwells.
- When they are flushed down the toilet, they dissolve into microscopic particles.
- Matthew later confronts Louise and locks her in the ladies' toilets.
- If we ever had any moral authority, it has been officially flushed down the toilet.
- He had the dimensions of the room, the door, even the toilet, all memorized in his head.
- Although work is on a public floor of the building, the toilets are locked, secured by carefully guarded keys.
- He said drain blockages often occurred when nappies, air fresheners and sanitary towels are flushed down the toilet.
- There is also an understairs guest toilet on the ground floor.
- Milnthorpe bus users may have to endure more hanging about in the rain as the town's parish council raided funds earmarked for building bus shelters to save a public toilet.
- Why have the toilet in the bathroom when you've got masses of space?
- I wanted to use a composting toilet, but county wastewater officials weren't receptive to the idea.
- Unless hard digging provides real verified facts, the anonymous stuff should be flushed down the toilet.
- There are no science, cookery or woodwork rooms and no staff toilets.
- I compost all these and have a compost toilet.
- If councillors agree, the structure - including a toilet and changing rooms - will be built next to the organisation's bowling green.
- Most get flushed down the toilet, and eventually end up in the oceans.
- The public toilets have been cleaned up and three chemical toilets have been placed in the park.
- Professionalism and ethics are sometimes flushed down the toilet.
- Both the breakfast room and the kitchen have recessed lighting, while a guest toilet completes the accommodation at this level.
- He said he was not inclined to provide a portable toilet which could be vulnerable to vandalism.
- The toilets are upstairs, but there is a communal disabled toilet on our floor.
- Today his firm, which puts poster ads in pub toilets, employs five people.
- You'd toured the building, revisited the toilets, searched every office you'd been in during the day.
- Seat covers have been available for decades, and it used correctly, most seat covers will flush down the toilet without the user touching them.
- You probably wash up your dirty dishes immediately after eating, and stick bleach down the toilet with every tenth flush.
- Medicines should never be disposed of with other household waste, for safety reasons, or flushed down the toilet, for environmental reasons.
- The guest bedroom is on the ground floor and is en suite and there is a separate downstairs toilet nearby.
- A third of all household water is flushed down the toilet, so control the amount of water you use by putting a plastic bottle or ‘hippo’ in your cistern.
- The accommodation at this level is completed by a small understairs guest toilet.
- The small building also boasts composting toilets, grey water recycling, and the use of natural lighting.
- Fire broke out in the Carlton Street building's toilets after a match was dropped into a bin full of waste paper.
- Marketing is described as weak and many buildings lacked public toilets, baby changing facilities and refreshment areas.
- Upstairs there are five bedrooms and a family bathroom, and a downstairs toilet completes the accommodation.
- It's about as subtle as not having women's toilets in the engineering building.
- Apparently Roly stopped taking his drugs, flushed them down the toilet, and begged Alex to help him get out of that place.
- In many states, using a composting toilet allows a property owner to install a smaller septic system.
- In the toilets, the one cubicle with a working light had a broken lock.
- I think I almost fell asleep again because my brother got tired of waiting and flushed the downstairs toilet.
2archaic(washing and dressing)arreglo personal masculinetoilette feminine humorousto be at one's toilet — estar haciéndose la toilette humorous
- before noun toilet articles — artículos de tocador
- She quickly changed into an older dress and completed a brief toilet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.