In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cooking Farmingtomate masculinejitomate masculine Mexicoplum tomato — tomate (de) pera masculine
- before noun tomato juice — jugo de tomate
- tomato paste / puree — pomarola
- tomato sauce — salsa de jitomate
- tomato soup — sopa de tomate
- Lycopene is one of the pigments that colour tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables red, orange or yellow.
- Consider how conventional plant breeders would develop a disease-resistant tomato.
- Grandad grew everything, but the plants that set me on the right track were sweet peas and tomatoes.
- Let me just say that there is no place in here for tomatoes, cucumbers or fancy frisée lettuce.
- Place the salad in a bowl and top with the tomatoes, feta and warm aubergine.
- Carefully tip in the tomatoes, onion rings and garlic, then mix into the oil.
- We added figs, asparagus, tomatoes, plums, walnuts, cheeses and a goodly amount more wine.
- If you would like to grow your tomatoes from seed, firstly you need to source the variety you want to grow.
- I make salad with avocados, tomato, lettuce and spring onions, with an olive oil and red wine dressing.
- Divide the polenta between four plates, top with the grilled tomatoes and shake over a few drizzles of olive oil.
- In the last few years he still had onions and tomatoes growing in the flowerbeds he tended with care.
- Mr. Ferro has grown tomatoes for the whole town for more than 30 years, and he never had anyone to help him.
- I personally think if you can only grow two plants it should be a pot of tomatoes and a pot of basil.
- Throw in lots of vegetables and canned tomatoes, beans and lentils, rice and pasta.
- They also dug over an area of ground which will be used to grow herbs and tomatoes for the school kitchen.
- So now I'm having a bet each way, with a warm salad of aubergine, tomato and mozzarella.
- Blossom-end rot occurs in tomatoes grown in fields or glasshouses as a horticultural crop.
- On tomatoes, pinch out all side shoots at leaf axils when they are about an inch long.
- Paul came round for dinner and I did pasta, and picked us fresh yellow tomatoes from the greenhouse.
- Stir in the tomato: test the vegetables again for seasoning and allow the mixture to cool.
- Put the onions, peppers and tomatoes on a piece of foil on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- I hope he manages to derive some pleasure from growing tomatoes and radishes.
- Mix the tomatoes with the parsley and olives, capers, olive oil, lemon juice and pepper.
- Sucrose synthase genes have also been isolated from sucrose- or hexose-storing plants such as tomato and sugar beet.
- Plant your tomatoes in July so they are flowering when the temperature is rising.
- These include new varieties of cotton, potato, tobacco, tomato and clove.
- Stewing tomatoes in olive oil makes lycopene more available to the body.
- Season the tomatoes with black pepper and put them under the grill.
- Until you've grown your own tomatoes, you cannot imagine what dangers exist out there.
- In the garden at the back my aunt grew tomatoes, greens and lettuces.
- Strew the mozzarella and tomatoes over the pizzas, then add the pancetta, ruffling it up a bit.
- Cow's milk, wheat, tomatoes sugar and fruit are some of the most common triggers.
- They discussed some tips for planting summer crops like tomatoes and capsicums.
- Tear up the coriander leaves and toss them with the tomatoes, onions, a grinding of black pepper and the olive oil.
- Toss the pasta with the tomato and serve, topped with pieces of the crisped pancetta.
- His cuisine includes dishes with cheese and tomatoes and cheese salad is one of his favourite.
2also tomato planttomatera femininetomate masculinejitomate masculine Mexico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.