In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1niña poco femenina femininemachona feminine River Platemachetona feminine Mexicovaronera feminine Argentina
- I was quite the tomboy and spent whole days climbing trees with my brothers.
- Research on tomboys suggests that most do not reject traditionally female activities but rather embrace traditionally male ones.
- Sure I may like boy things and I don't always dress like the prettiest of girls but I am not a tomboy.
- It's occurring to me that if I were a kid, I'd be considered something of a tomboy.
- When she was little, she wanted to be a boy, like so many girls brought up in the 1950s with the tomboys Jo in Little Women and George in The Famous Five as role models.
- The eldest of three children, she had two brothers and was a regular tomboy, but always envisioned herself as a dancer.
- It's a really hard thing for a girl to do, especially if you're not a tomboy.
- Betty admits to being a tomboy and says she found break times more fun playing boys' games.
- It sounds stupid, but I wanted to show him I could be a girl too, not just a tomboy.
- Girly, feminine and mostly floral, this season one particular item of clothing will have tomboys quaking in their boots: the dress.
- I was a bit of a tomboy and fancied myself one of the lads.
- We are a culture that now cherishes our adventurous, aggressive tomboys but balks at boys who cry, nurture, and listen to chick flick soundtracks.
- Mother's attempts at raising us as proper young girls had transformed us into disobedient tomboys.
- He would never consider her next to any of these girls; she was just a fun tomboy to chill with.
- Lots of seven to 10-year-olds are tomboys, into male-style adventure.
- It would be fair to describe Chloe as a tomboy and I think the activities Scouts do will suit her.
- Tailored replica kits, specially-designed leisure wear and even lingerie are all catering for the female fan base and dispelling the myth that girls who like sport are tomboys with short hair who don't like being feminine.
- I've known Chastity since she was young, and this girl was a total tomboy.
- Summer is a great time for tomboys, with all that tree-climbing and outdoor sport.
- It's still cute for a girl to be a tomboy, but a terrible insult to call a boy a sissy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.