In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lengua tonal feminine
- There are a vast number of languages that are known as tone languages or tonal languages.
- The Tlingit language is a tone language that has 24 sounds not found in English.
- What we needed, then, were real examples of spontaneously written text in a tone language that, like Efik, has no written literary tradition of its own.
- Krio is non-rhotic, syllable-timed, and a tone language.
- Only a worldwide, comparative program of experiments can resolve the question of whether to mark tones in any given tone language at all, and if so, how much.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.