In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tenacillaspinza(s)a pair of tongs — una(s) pinza(s)
- I attacked the bowl of molluscs using a great technique I was once taught for eating mussels without cutlery, by using an empty shell as a finger-sized pair of tongs.
- Hold them in a Bunsen burner flame with a pair of tongs.
- Use tongs to turn the duck half-way through cooking.
- When I was a child my father would plan a barbeque for my birthday every year, and every year we would all end up in the living room, watching him cook in the rain with his tongs in one hand and a golf umbrella in the other.
- When it's smoking, quickly add broccoli and toss well with a pair of tongs.
- The Talmud states that God gave man the first pair of tongs, because it is impossible to forge a pair of tongs without already having another pair to hold the metal in the fire.
- Uncle Gus pulled a hammer and some barbecue tongs out of his trousers pocket, and started tinkering.
- Customers line-up cafeteria-style, filling red plastic trays with pastries, using not their hands, but a pair of tongs taken from a rack.
- Use a pair of tongs and dip the string into the paraffin.
- Grabbing a pair of tongs that rested in one of the boxes Joe served himself several of the chicken fingers.
- Lift them out of the liquid with a pair of tongs and put them in a serving dish and keep warm.
- Test by pushing on the centre of the steak with the side of the tongs, do not dig into the steak with a knife.
- The sisters got out of Alex's way as he grabbed an oven mitt and a pair of tongs.
- Once in the door you'll be straight over to the hearth, emptying ashes and raking dead coals, scooping up briquettes of turf with a pair of tongs and stacking them up.
- I reached for the tongs to pick it up and it caught the bottom of my dressing gown.
- Minutes later, the baker picks up two long iron tongs and gently tugs the bread from the tandoor wall and plops it in the waiting arms of his customer.
- To give the Indian flat bread a sculptured look, use a pair of kitchen tongs to carefully hold bread a few inches above the open flame of a gas burner.
- Toss well with a pair of tongs and cook until the broccoli begins to colour.
- She picked up tongs and began rearranging cookies in the glass display.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping them over with tongs if necessary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.