In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.2also tonic watertónica femininefeminine agua tónicafeminine aguaquina Venezuela
- Ashwagandha is unique as a tonic herb in that it is exceptionally easy to cultivate and is ready for harvest after only one year of growth.
- Spontaneous carbonation or bubbles that sprung from natural mineral springs were believed to relieve common ailments with their tonic properties.
- But it is neither a variation on one of the old iron supplements nor is it a food, although its adherents say it has tonic properties and you do apply it to the body.
- Adults still dutifully head home to mother for tonic soups when a hectic all-work-and-no-play lifestyle leaves them feeling under the weather.
- Flavonoids are the most powerful health bestowing constituent of tonic herbs.
- The range features a cleansing gel, tonic lotion, facial mask, day lotion and concentrate and a night gel as well as a blemish control stick and cream.
- Digestive tonic properties and early experimental findings that its long-term use promotes the heart and vascular system are other feathers in the cap for this herb.
- The Chinese sometimes include zhu ling (they use the sclerotium rather than the fruiting body) as an ingredient in herbal tonic formulas.
- So the mere presence of a fixed percentage of ginsenosides does not guarantee the tonic properties of a well-aged root.
- As such it is a common ingredient in tonic formulas, particularly for elderly or debilitated people.
- Somehow this alchemical process turns it from a cooling herb to a tonic herb.
- This excellent tonic herb is high in mineral content, with a preference for supporting the liver.
- Dang Quai is one of the most popular Chinese tonic herbs for women.
- His letters mention ‘excellent spirits’ and tonic air full of wonderful odours.
2Music(scale/chord) tónicotonic accent — acento tónico masculine
- A tonic resolution such as that at the end of this piece seems to me have quite an ironic quality.
- Indeed, the tonic D, which has held sway over much of the movement's main tonal and harmonic thrust, is thrown into some degree of crisis.
- After an unusually long and chromatic development the recapitulation begins in the tonic minor.
- The superimposition of the tonic and dominant forms of the motif does not bring a resolution, only an uneasy symbiosis.
- At first, whirling scales and broken arpeggios scamper across the keyboard, hopefully tethered by tonic pedal notes in the bass.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.