In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This meant that the injured leg was suddenly under more than a tonne of weight.
- There were fears hundreds of tonnes of fruit would rot unless the red-tape was lifted.
- This amounts to some 28 million tonnes per year, or almost half a tonne per person.
- Hundreds of tonnes of sewage was stored with the smell making life a misery for residents.
- It stores and processes hundreds of tonnes of toxic and highly inflammable chemicals and compounds.
- We don't know much about what the impact is when hundreds of tonnes of gravel are removed.
- For each tonne of cans that is re-used, 1.5 tonnes of iron ore and half a tonne of coal are saved.
- Hundreds of tonnes of peat and debris swept down Haworth Moor near Top Withens.
- It was 15 metres across, weighed three tonnes and had an estimated two million calories.
- Foreign air freight fell from nine tonnes to just over one tonne, a sharp drop of 85 per cent.
- An English farmer expects to get at least eight tonnes of wheat out of a hectare.
- Hundreds of thousands of tonnes of cod were taken out each year, building up great fortunes for those that fished it.
- Around 150 scrap cars and hundreds of tonnes of waste were burned in the blaze.
- We then visited this to discover that out of the six hundred tonnes, only about fifty tonnes were left by then.
- Production lines were left blackened and charred, hundreds of tonnes of ingredients were ruined.
- They have pointed out that it takes three tonnes of wild fish to produce one tonne of the farmed variety.
- They believe that 20 tonnes of dust per acre is enough to make land fertile for a decade.
- This is a record as the average yield in the State is around four tonnes per hectare.
- Four hundred tonnes were unknowingly imported by a Norfolk company and sold in Britain.
- The monthly turnover is about four tonnes and she has stocked three tonnes of compost.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.