In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We then visited this to discover that out of the six hundred tonnes, only about fifty tonnes were left by then.
- Hundreds of tonnes of peat and debris swept down Haworth Moor near Top Withens.
- It stores and processes hundreds of tonnes of toxic and highly inflammable chemicals and compounds.
- There were fears hundreds of tonnes of fruit would rot unless the red-tape was lifted.
- The monthly turnover is about four tonnes and she has stocked three tonnes of compost.
- It was 15 metres across, weighed three tonnes and had an estimated two million calories.
- Production lines were left blackened and charred, hundreds of tonnes of ingredients were ruined.
- They believe that 20 tonnes of dust per acre is enough to make land fertile for a decade.
- They have pointed out that it takes three tonnes of wild fish to produce one tonne of the farmed variety.
- For each tonne of cans that is re-used, 1.5 tonnes of iron ore and half a tonne of coal are saved.
- Hundreds of thousands of tonnes of cod were taken out each year, building up great fortunes for those that fished it.
- This is a record as the average yield in the State is around four tonnes per hectare.
- Four hundred tonnes were unknowingly imported by a Norfolk company and sold in Britain.
- We don't know much about what the impact is when hundreds of tonnes of gravel are removed.
- Hundreds of tonnes of sewage was stored with the smell making life a misery for residents.
- Foreign air freight fell from nine tonnes to just over one tonne, a sharp drop of 85 per cent.
- This amounts to some 28 million tonnes per year, or almost half a tonne per person.
- This meant that the injured leg was suddenly under more than a tonne of weight.
- Around 150 scrap cars and hundreds of tonnes of waste were burned in the blaze.
- An English farmer expects to get at least eight tonnes of wheat out of a hectare.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.