In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Anatomyamígdala femininehe had his tonsils out — lo operaron de las amígdalas
- It is possible that the ‘breath holding’ episodes the child exhibited previously were in fact intermittent and momentary obstruction of the glottis by the tonsil.
- The major parts of the system are the bone marrow, spleen, thymus gland, lymph nodes, and the tonsils.
- Perhaps if I do relent and have them out, I should also book in to have my tonsils and appendix removed as well, just in case.
- Enlarged adenoids or tonsils, which are at the back of the throat, may block the Eustachian tube.
- The tonsils were moderately enlarged with no deviation of the uvula.
- The tonsils and the back of the throat may look red, swollen, and dotted with whitish or yellowish specks of pus.
- Other parts of the lymphatic system are the spleen, thymus, bone marrow and tonsils.
- This will help prevent complications such as rheumatic fever or an abscess around the tonsils.
- The tonsils normally help to filter out bacteria and other microorganisms to aid the body in fighting infection.
- Doctors cannot usually tell the difference just by looking at the tonsils.
- Surgical removal of tonsils, nasal polyps or other tissue impinging on the airway also may relieve sleep apnea.
- Oral cancers occur in the mouth and the back of the throat, the tonsil, tongue, lip and voice box.
- This throat membrane usually covers the tonsils and is a dirty grey colour.
- A programme of testing several thousand pathological specimens of appendixes and tonsils was started.
- The tonsils are the two masses of tissue on either side of the back of the throat.
- If the throat is narrower to start with, for example because the tonsils are enlarged, it is easier for the throat muscles to close and block the airway.
- Sometimes surgery is needed to remove tonsils or extra tissue from the throat.
- Sometimes a secondary bacterial infection of the tonsils occurs, and this is usually treated with the antibiotic penicillin.
- The problem can sometimes be fixed if the tonsils are taken out, if a machine is used to help breathing at night, or if the child loses weight.
- If the abscess is located in the distal part of the tonsil, puncture of the carotid artery can occur.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.