In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(instrument)instrumento masculinefeminine herramientagarden tools — utensilios de jardinería masculine
- they are the tools of his trade — son sus herramientas de trabajo
- the use of unemployment as a political tool — el uso del desempleo como instrumento político
- The company is involved in the manufacture of pocket knives and cutting tools for DIY and gardening.
- As well as advice on how to deal with bogus callers, securing property and the home, there will be tips on safeguarding gardening tools and machinery.
- These tools may have functioned as hafted knives or scrapers.
- A number of tools were stolen from sheds and the vandals uprooted vegetables and plants, throwing them around.
- Dad had to borrow money to buy a set of tools for his apprenticeship.
- Clean and store outdoor lawn and patio furniture, gardening tools and barbecue equipment.
- There will be exhibitors offering garden furniture, pots, wickerwork, gardening tools and implements old and new, wrought ironwork and various craft stalls.
- Next day I turned up again by taxi, carrying my bag of bike tools, and got out, prepared for a sweating quarter of an hour mending a bike when I should have been at work.
- There are loads of gardening gadgets and new tools around to tempt the unwary shopper, but in my view most of these novelties will not stand the test of time and you would be unlikely to find them still in use by this time next year.
- Most rusty implements, tools and hooks can be restored to almost their original form by simply leaving them in plain white vinegar for several hours.
- Each year a number of new gardening tools and gadgets become available.
- He said items such as sports equipment and gardening tools become items of interest for potential thieves.
- There were hundreds of devices and tools inside the huge building.
- Implements, tools, and equipment should be cleaned of soil and root debris before moving them to non-infested fields.
- As well as financial contributions, the group is urging volunteer gardeners to come forward or offer donations of gardening tools and equipment.
- With the number of different tools used in this trade, knowledge of when and how to use the many implements is vital.
- And I got to use large numbers of power tools for a bit, which is always good.
- These products are household items such as kitchen appliances, gardening tools and children's toys.
- The divers teamed up in groups of two or three, and each group carried with them cutting tools and lift bags.
- This way of life was to change when metal became available for making tools and implements, in the latter part of the third millennium BC.
2slang(penis)verga feminine vulgar slangpolla feminine Spain vulgar slangpija feminine River Plate vulgar slangpico masculine Chile vulgar slang
1(shape)(mold/pattern) hacer(pattern/mold) fabricar
- It's really a beautiful little piece of work, bound in leather that's been tooled with a lovely design of roses and vines.
- Just pop those finely tooled leather suitcases in the back and point her in the general direction of somewhere hot and expensive.
- Long gone are the tooled finishes from hand-held chisels that could render differences in texture across the face of a stone block, or from one stone to the next.
- Houdini's diaries took up an entire shelf - about a dozen volumes, each boxed in an expensive leather slipcase, gold tooled - a treasure surely worth a few hundred thousand dollars.
- First came a wonderfully tooled pair of soft doe-skin boots, delicate enough to wear with nice dresses, but sturdy enough to wear in everyday use.
- The saddle my mare wore was plain, while his had tooled designs cut into the leather of it.
- This sounds like such an esoteric topic, yet in fact it follows a long period during which patrons and collectors sought out and valued decorated leather bindings tooled in gold and blind impressions.
- Each cluster is made up of circular grapes of fiery black opals and delicately tooled gold leaves covered in translucent green enamel, spaced equally along the chain.
- Franklin has tooled the design himself: a rectangle within a rectangle within a rectangle of gold, the inner and the middle joined at the corners with floral rolls.
- He'd traded his breeches and tunic for finely tooled black leather - the working garb of an Assassin.
- Some bikes had tooled leather offices attached to the handlebars.
2(decorate)(leather) trabajar(leather) labrar(leather) estampar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.