In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informal(foot) piececito masculine(foot) patita feminine informal(toe) dedito masculine
- Chilly tootsies love this rug made from a 4x6-foot piece of industrial-weight felt (the stuff used tot shoe soles).
- But for those of us who are, our tootsies are dangling.
- I know some folk are freezing their little tootsies off, but currently a few days of winter would be MOST appreciated, just so we can sleep.
- But Raechel made short work of that with a foot file. I made a mental note to use the file regularly at home, pay more attention to rubbing cream into my feet and heels after a shower, and generally to be nicer to my tootsies.
- We are going to the super-crowded beach at Coney Island to dip our tootsies in the water with half of New York City.
- While the Irish are sheltering from icy sheets of rain and the Poles are freezing their tootsies off, the Italians are drinking wine and lounging on the southern beaches and the Spaniards are having siestas in the sun.
- My tootsies are smarting like you wouldn't believe.
- Unfortunately, I have really big feet (size 7 or even an 8 in some shops), so I wouldn't be able to squeeze my tootsies in them.
- Actually, my informants tell me he was in Garry Point Park in Steveston, so the chosen one's tootsies were really submerged in the sweet and muddy Fraser River.
- But I'm so over cramming my tootsies into teeny-weeny pumps.
- A little diner food helped, but after the incident with the couple on the street all I wanted was to go home, take a shower, slather lotion on my blistered tootsies, and lick my wounds.
- If you're looking for a way to brighten up and soften those tootsies, then read on and find out how to give yourself the perfect pedicure.
- He charged no fares, was generous w/transfers and didn't care if passengers placed their tender tootsies up on the seats.
- Pack some sneaks to keep your tootsies happy for the long haul.
- It's become clear that shoes are defining people's evolving obsessions with protecting precious tootsies.
- Explain that if she's going to thrive in her new environment, she has to set up her own world and stand on her own tootsies.
- If your tootsies get sweaty and smelly, wash them twice a day with water and anti-bacterial soap.
- This is not the Highland way, but so often there is an anti-climax about dignitaries and club officials giving muffled addresses while freezing their tootsies off in the middle of a football field.
- The elasticated strap around the heel provides security without restricting movement and the adjustable straps at the front ensures your precious tootsies won't have the life squeezed out them should they expand in a random style.
- So you'll often see them in the mornings, standing, staring into space, with their little tootsies beating some silent syncopated rhythm on the grass.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.