In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1top-level talks — conversaciones de alto nivel
- a top-level official — un alto funcionario
- a team of top-level scientists — un equipo de científicos eminentes
- He learned of the tragedy before his current team, the London rugby union side Wasps where he is defensive coach, played a top-level game.
- Cabinet ministers have held top-level talks with Britain's biggest high street retailers in a bid to breath new life into Bradford.
- Roasting has taken on a more sordid meaning with claims that top-level footballers are engaging in group sex with consenting young women.
- Youngsters - supposedly the future of golf - are not exposed to enough top-level golf to develop an interest in the game.
- There is a fine line between success and failure in top-level golf.
- This game is all about national prestige, international rivalry and top-level politics.
- Meanwhile, a top-level investigation has been ordered in an attempt to identify the cause of the freak explosion.
- Opposition politicians and children's groups last night condemned the SPS and demanded a top-level inquiry.
- The mutineers insist they were not trying to seize power but only wanted to expose a top-level conspiracy.
- It's a great thing to be able to have these level of coaches, because they attract other top-level clinicians.
- Last night a senior Customs officer said the seizure represented a major breakthrough in the fight against top-level criminals.
- Get the mobile police unit in if you have to, and get me a crack team of top-level Mages together.
- Jaguar's re-entry into the world of top-level motorsport was supposed to herald a bright new dawn for the old marque, not an eclipse.
- But at a top-level meeting with highways officials, police agreed the area should be a 40 mph zone.
- Ministers were acting on the recommendations of a top-level report aimed at tackling rising levels of obesity among young people.
- It marks the start of a top-level shake-up that should save £250,000 a year from 2007 onwards.
- Indicating the scope of a top-level label is an excellent way to provide context for that label.
- In private, tape recordings tell us, top-level discussions were something else.
- Due to top-level corruption, core decisions would not be taken through transparent procedures and on merit.
- We should not always leave the decision-making to top-level officials.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.