In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One of the topics of my lunch conversation with Ollie yesterday was Physics.
- Practically the only topic of conversation is the dreaded eviction and crowd reception.
- For Edinburgh residents, a safe place to park the car became the main topic of conversation.
- Manar says this is a frequent topic of conversation at school following clashes.
- Good form, in fact, is not to try to initiate any topics of conversation yourself at all.
- Where to go on holiday, parenting advice and bad days at work are among the other hot topics of conversation.
- It was inevitable that it should be the topic of conversation as we ate in Pizza Express.
- Upon his favourite topic of discourse, it is said that he was quite unable to bear contradiction.
- I was talking to a Canadian guy last week and one of the topics of conversation was language.
- The conversation turns to other topics, but by that point I've drifted off into my own thoughts.
- Talking about alcohol also provides an easy topic of conversation while getting drunk.
- The main topic of conversation on the doorstep was the European election campaign.
- Unfortunately, one of the topics of conversation was to be the new guy asleep in the corner.
- I never noticed it come up as a topic of conversation at work or with friends, either.
- The latest morale-boosting victory was the sole topic of conversation at the event.
- Whether or not it's going to snow tomorrow is the only topic of conversation today.
- Oh, this has been the main topic of conversation in emails flying back and forth this afternoon.
- Turn the top card of the draw pile and place it next to the draw pile to set the current topic and begin the conversation.
- Inevitably in dealing with such large topics some of the discussions are far too abbreviated.
- His eating habits were also a topic of conversation amongst those who dined with him!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.