In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Its blast was bigger than ‘Little Boy's’ but its impact was reduced by the natural topography of the city.
- The volcanic vista in Lava Lake also features designed topography, including striped atolls from which astronautlike figures survey the swirling red seas of their planet.
- They also recognize a broad variety of contexts, including physical topography, other human landscape artefacts and religious or cultural beliefs about the landscape.
- In most of the landscape, these form areas of relatively featureless topography as they are easily eroded.
- Of course, Stane Street was not totally straight: it had to take into account the undulations and natural barriers of British topography.
- To evade mountain lions and other predators they need both steep topography and open terrain.
- Vernal pools are shallow depressions in the natural topography that have hard pan, impermeable hard pan, beneath them and when the winter rains come they fill with water.
- Squares and rectangles are the main planning module and these warp into parallelograms to accommodate the natural topography.
- This use of the available topography provided natural insulation that kept the cellars an even, cool temperature.
- ‘It was a great site to work with, with natural topography and sand and gravel, which really allowed us to go crazy,’ said Eitelman.
- The reservoir is an example of using natural topography for rainwater harvesting.
- At the time, project planners were hell-bent on sticking a shopping center underneath the school, and they carved away much of the natural topography in the process.
- The weather and seasons in the Greater Middle East, and related matters of terrain and topography, present a very mixed and varied picture.
- However, there is a potential for increased tourism because of the natural beauty and varied topography and because the country is unspoiled and inexpensive.
- It lies on a chalk knoll, its natural topography having been sculptured and modelled through successive phases of construction and reconstruction.
- The site plan responds to the site's topography, respecting natural arroyos and ridges.
- The islands' topography includes such diverse features as active volcanos, grassy pastures, and endless stretches of beach.
- Talpacific Holidays is putting the boot into New Zealand with escorted walking tours through some of the country's most spectacular topography and active wildlife areas.
- Situated 20 km from the centre of Budapest in rolling countryside, the track climbs and falls around the natural topography.
- The crescent of land that crowns Michigan's lower peninsula offers perfect topography, soil, views and weather.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.