In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1topspin masculineefecto topspin masculineto put topspin on a ball — pegarle a la pelota con (efecto) topspin
- The topspin seems to be preventing lift that gets the ball over the infielders and outfielders.
- Well most kids I know are better adjusted than that, and know very well that spending five hours a day practising topspin won't bring them happiness and fulfilment - whereas an hour a week followed by a can of fizzy pop might be quite fun.
- There's backspin, volleys, drop-shots, lobs and, of course, topspin - to recreate that element of surprise.
- He does not just play heavy topspin, he is very versatile.
- Rebecca went to retrieve the ball, which I had hit hard, with tons of topspin, into her left corner.
- This supposed injustice is another piece of classic El Tel topspin.
- And it held the ball on the strings longer, allowing athletes to impart greater topspin on the ball than they would with a normal topspin stroke.
- At the same time, I wanted her right forearm to roll over as if she were hitting a forehand topspin shot in tennis.
- When you do it right, the sensation is like hitting a topspin Ping-Pong shot with your left hand.
- The ferocious topspin he used achieved depth while keeping a much wider margin for error than a flat stroke.
- To me, feel in action is a tennis player sizing up a passing shot and in a split-second choosing either to break off a sharp topspin angler or completely fool his opponent with a soft, carefully placed lob.
- Isn't it impossible to create topspin and get a ball airborne?
- You can put backspin, topspin, sidespin, all the spin you can put!
- Once you have all that down, you can still learn how to react to the wind, and whether to use topspin, backspin, or sidespin.
- This topspin caused the mallet to drive the ball downward into the ground, thus significantly increasing the force generated by the forearm flexors.
- The topspin on a curveball pushes the ball down.
- Add to that a dash of agility, some heavy topspin, touch, and a dollop of intelligence and there you have it: the most complete player to emerge from Spain in decades.
- It will pop up, jump over the rough with topspin and roll to the hole.
- Watch dated film of players pre-Laver, and the game seems so effete, but he brought in power and the use of topspin with a supreme combination of force and finesse.
- When an opponent comes to the net, he likes to hit a dipping topspin shot, which forces the other guy to volley, rather than trying for an outrageous angle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.