In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They allow for the chaotic nature of totalitarian regimes.
- The best way to rid the world of totalitarian regimes is to show their citizens what the rest of the world is really like.
- The legislation clears the way for practices commonly identified with totalitarian regimes.
- In some cases, a republic may be a dictatorial or totalitarian state.
- We usually connect propaganda to totalitarian regimes and undemocratic societies.
- They were not seen as an important force that could potentially undermine totalitarian regimes from within.
- Her focus is very much on the centrality of terror to totalitarian regimes.
- First of all, we all know the difference between a totalitarian regime and a democracy.
- For it came into a world previously marked by despotism, by tyranny, by totalitarian control.
- The counterpart is used only in totalitarian states or military dictatorships.
- In its more moderated and diffused form it blamed the absence of democracy in totalitarian regimes not on the dictators but on the democracies.
- Once they came to power they turned to totalitarian dictatorships.
- Maybe years of living under totalitarian dictatorships left them no choice but to live large in whatever small ways they can.
- It is characteristic of totalitarian regimes to try to prevent private initiatives in education.
- It is also, however, an approach that can be, and has been, misused by totalitarian regimes.
- More often, in fact, they are foot soldiers of totalitarian regimes and of mob rule.
- These are simply obstacles in his drive for an absolute autocracy and totalitarian power.
- The Romanian Revolution was the most dramatic of a wave of uprisings that ended totalitarian rule throughout Eastern Europe.
- Everywhere that people lived under totalitarian dictatorships, they felt he was one of them.
- That fiction would be laughable were it not so dangerously resonant of totalitarian regimes against which this country once stood firm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.