In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Long ago, the world was ruled by two great animal totems.
- For centuries our ancestors have had animal totems.
- After that we turned our attention to animal myths, totems and characters, and I asked them to draw each of themselves as animals with which they identified.
- And so all the clans who have totems, those totems define certain territories.
- Each family has a totem and is grouped by totems (plants, birds, four-legged creatures) into a system of marriage alliances.
- It is strictly taboo for anyone to eat the meat from an animal that is his or her totem.
- Alienated from their surroundings, these youths are chilling totems of a society predicated on division.
- They were given certain animal totems to feed the people, such as fish, turtle and every other creature that lives in the water.
- Due to her early influence, my spirit guides have always been animal totems.
- Tribal groups avoid the flesh of animals that are their clan totems.
- The meat of one's clan totem was traditionally avoided; even today animals representing totems are rarely eaten.
- Hey, at least you people know how to find out about your totems or power animals.
- Twenty or more clans with additional totems were added later.
- If a family has a totem, it cannot eat that animal, which is considered a spiritual protector.
- When people die they pass on their totems to young children, usually a son or grandson.
- Premodern societies often had animal totems, and they saw animals and humans as intertwined through reincarnation.
- But the truth is, the little girl was in no danger, for like the other members of her tribe, she was a child of an animal totem.
- As he turned around, he saw a pile of small, stone animal totems had appeared next to the book.
- They make these animals their totems and are not allowed to hunt, eat, or even be around them.
- Is it a sign, is it a totem, that normal society has returned?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.