In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Watson nearly caused a touchback, as the ball narrowly missed the endzone on its way out of bounds.
- The ball was knocked out of his hand at the two-yard line and recovered by the Bengals for a touchback.
- Against Seattle last week, the Jaguars had four kick-offs go for touchbacks and pinned the Seahawks inside the 10-yard line on consecutive possessions.
- The second was also risky, as Stanley had not shown his regular touch, and a touchback would have only resulted in a net 11 yards.
- He has posted 12 touchbacks and has become adept at pushing the ball to one side or the other to reduce the running room for return men.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.