In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1línea de banda feminine
- Ronaldo is getting his knee sprayed on the touchline, but appears to be okay.
- Howley, hemmed in on the left flank, dabbed a clever grubber kick up the touchline, and set off in pursuit.
- Having won a free-kick out on the left touchline, the midfielder whipped the ball deep into the box.
- What's more they don't even have to make every decision themselves because of two equally inept individuals who maraud up and down the touchlines waving their flags whenever it appears appropriate.
- Minutes before the end sections of the crowd streamed over the fence around the ground and formed groups around the touchlines, often overflowing onto the field.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.