In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1peluquín masculinetupé masculine
- In America, I have to cope with tone-deaf cocktail pianists with fire-retardant toupees.
- Coming from two families of bald men - father, husband, and father-in-law all started losing their hair in their late teens - I don't understand men who wear toupees, much like I don't understand women who wear falsies.
- He'll lift his toupee off his head like it's a top hat.
- So… here's some advice: no comb-overs, no toupees, wigs or other attachments.
- On the night a courageous gentleman from the village has kindly offered to have his head shaved and this hair will be auctioned and made into a toupee for his boss.
- There was unkind talk in the press about him dyeing his hair, possibly even wearing a toupee.
- And to split hairs: how would a toupee be classified?
- It's so cool and new, in fact, that it opened yesterday, and at the tables around us, we see nose jobs and breast implants and toupees, and what happens if you get addicted to Botox.
- I've seen ads for beautiful toupees for as low as $9.95.
- They will resort to toupees and tucks, soft-focus lighting and soft-fleshed leading ladies of an entirely inappropriate age.
- And all of us want to know if your hair is real, or it's a toupee or if it's comb-over, died amalgamation or mix of one of the above?
- On the run from France for assorted crimes, he attaches himself, gargoyle-like, to the hotel as a year-round resident, and sets up shop in the town making hair adornments - from toupees to merkins to funeral jewellery.
- I see a world where in places of darkness, toupees and comb overs plot with the glass controller.
- There was a time when a bottle of hair dye, pancake make-up, a toupee and a darkly lighted room was about the best effort we could make.
- He tore through the number and, toward the end, shook his long, slicked-back blond hair until it fell forward, like a toupee attached at the brow line, virtually covering his face.
- A court in Dresden ruled today the government is not required to pay for toupees.
- For men, halfhearted comb-overs, plugs, weaves, and toupees are strictly forbidden and will be cause for harsh disciplinary action.
- Gruesome and downright unhygienic as the use of such objects now seems, it may be surmised that in the twenty-first century it will be thought equally unpleasant that the best wigs and toupees of the 1960s were made of human hair.
- That's why comb-overs or toupees or other attempts to disguise it (including shaving, but less so) are seen as very unattractive.
- But that doesn't mean we should pass laws banning soup kitchens, toupees, or jeans above a size eight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.