In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1torre femininechurch / bell tower — campanario masculine
- the Tower of Babel — la Torre de Babel
- radio/television tower — torre de radio/televisión
- Police searched his house on March 4 this year and a computer tower and storage media were found containing 95 images in total.
- Her CD collection was arranged alphabetically in a tall CD tower, and she always kept her favorite ones of the moment on the top.
- The tall grain tower was hardly anywhere near civilization.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.