In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Yet over a four-year period, Watson was employed as a town crier, children's entertainer, and as a toastmaster.
- The town crier had just announced midnight a few minutes before.
- The Tartan Day celebrations began with a town crier walking down Sixth Avenue from 45th Street announcing the beginning of the parade.
- A British man is living out his American dream - by being the official town crier of Hollywood.
- The crier will also be expected to wear a traditional tricorn hat, a red cloak and to carry the town crier's bell at official functions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.