In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1juguete masculinepeople and cars looked like toys — la gente y los coches parecían de juguete
- to throw one's toys out of the pram — tener un arrebato
- Dozens of floral tributes, dolls and cuddly toys were placed on metal railings near the scene of the tragedy.
- The shop stocks a selection of second-hand books, bric-a-brac, models, toys, games and a selection of official Yorkshire Air Ambulance souvenirs.
- Provide bright colored toys and toys like cars and trucks that move.
- The appeal gives gifts to newborns right up to 16-year-olds from cuddly toys and books to action toys and games, toiletries and CDs.
- Using toys as scale models of their world, children taste, examine and set up their visions of larger worlds.
- There will be a range of automotive toys and model cars, boats and planes for children as well as a jumping castle, clowns, face painting and a care centre
- And besides - have you ever tried making a 40 foot high replica of a stuffed toy out of pots of flowers?
- I'm pretty sure when I was small, we had a toy - doll, car, train, whatever - and pretended it was what we wanted it to be.
- Does anybody else involve cuddly toys and dolls in their conversations?
- Everything bar the kitchen sink has to go… from cuddly toys to the cars standing on their driveway.
- The result is a digital rendering of each concept, and a full-size sculpted model of the toy in foam.
- Replica toys can make it difficult for a child to be creative and imaginative.
- As summer arrived, so did the big wooden crates bringing wonderful dolls, mechanical toys, pedal cars, tricycles, scooters, dolls' prams.
- Miniature toy cars can drive with wet, painted tires over unusual papers.
- Go about in the shops and buy any little toys and models that have special bearing on civilian life in its more peaceful aspects.
- The black plastic bin liner contained teddy bears and other cuddly toys, Rosie and Jim dolls and a number of framed children's pictures.
- The toy is modelled on the pint-sized singer, even down to her famous bottom.
- Her favourite dolls, cuddly toys and teddy bears are lined along her shelves and bed.
- Some of the clothes on the hooks in the hallway were not mine; a child's toys, a few toy cars, stood in the corner.
- If the toddler ignored the miniature toys for more than three or four minutes, however, we would draw attention to them.
1(gun/car) de juguetetoy soldier — soldadito (de juguete)
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.