In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He worked in a toyshop and was an undistinguished pupil and student, but shone at the Reserve Officers Training Corps.
- ‘The bikes are designed for children and are for sale in children's toyshops,’ she said.
- The town of Westhoughton has got a thriving toyshop and a couple of locksmiths.
- She sighed as she walked out of the shop towards the toyshop.
- A ‘deluxe’ version, complete with desk and computer, arrives in British toyshops this autumn.
- On the one hand, it remains a traditional English market town, complete with an ancient parish church, three independent butchers, a brewery, a toyshop, a weekly market and a local museum.
- This week the toyshops around town are bustling with children.
- This also involved building the kids ‘targets’ for weapons practice, as they had been given a toy sword and a toy bow and arrow from the fantastic toyshop in Dunster.
- Because I lived in the countryside, and there were virtually no toyshops, I would make my own out of bits of wood.
- The police and probation service are calling on staff, particularly those working in toyshops, to look out for the tell-tale signs and help prevent a tragedy.
- Shoe shops, jewellers, clothes shops and snack bars are everywhere, but toyshops are either well hidden or have been banished.
- A large proportion of those offences related to imitation guns that are freely available in toyshops and on market stalls, which are almost impossible to tell from the real thing.
- Other retailers include farm shops, toyshops and schools.
- One was the shape of a lemon and the other a pineapple, an NYPD spokesman said, adding that similar items could be purchased in toyshops.
- And it is not just specialist toyshops either is it?
- And although he officially retired from his post of 15 years as manager of Debenham's department store in 1984, he works full-time in a local toyshop.
- They have been busy checking all the toyshops around town in search of the perfect toy.
- Then came the long-awaited school holidays; then the competing toyshops and the arrival of early Christmas Cards at the Post Office; and, sure enough, there was the sale of Sorrel at the market on Saturdays.
- My dad ran a toyshop in Blackpool, but I think that's about as far as the parallels go.
- The toyshops, much like the adventure playground leave little to the imagination.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.