In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(indication)señal feminineindicio masculinerastro masculinethere was no trace/ there were no traces of a struggle — no había señales / indicios / rastros de que hubiera habido una pelea
- traces of the old way of life — vestigios / rastros del antiguo modo de vida
- they can't find any trace of my letter — no encuentran mi carta por ninguna parte
- to disappear without (a) trace — esfumarse
- I detected a trace of a smile on his face — advertí el esbozo de una sonrisa en su rostro
- Michan thought he saw the traces of a smile in the Commander's eyes.
- Her raised chin and an ‘upside-down smile’ reveal traces of disgust, anger, and sadness.
- There is a faint trace of a smile, but he does not flinch: whatever the honorary boyo's faults, he is unlikely to be bought with a knighthood.
- I could hear the traces of a wistful smile in his voice.
- It is a tribute to him that there is barely a trace of tedium in a performance lasting more than four hours.
- Josh's breathing grew shallow and a single tear dropped from his eye, but I could see the traces of the smile I loved so much beginning on his face.
- Alex smiled, hiding traces of bitterness from her face.
- He may be a little world-weary, but behind the half-beard and the straggly locks there's the faintest trace of a smile.
- Gregory smiled, the traces of sadness slowly vanishing.
- ‘Thanks,’ she said, looking flustered, but I noted that her lips held the traces of a smile.
- But I could see faint traces of a smile starting to appear.
- Zach shrugged, the faintest traces of a smile appearing on his lips.
- So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin on his face.
- Butler is softly spoken with a trace of an Edinburgh burr still discernible in her gentle Canadian accent.
- The boy turned and walked back into the woods, then paused and turned back towards Kevin, all former traces of a smile replaced by a grim anger.
- She rolled her eyes, but a trace of a smile graced her lips.
- ‘You're always damned by the exception,’ Hill says with the slightest trace of a smile.
- The trace of a smile flickered across head coach Wu Jingui's face.
- Any trace of a smile that I had on my face at that time fell.
- A trace of sadness was barely audible in Cattia's flat voice, perhaps such a small sliver of one that only Tania really could pick it up.
1.2(small amount)they found traces of poison in the food — encontraron rastros de veneno en la comida
- remove all traces of make-up — límpiese sin dejar residuos de maquillaje
- without a trace of resentment — sin un asomo de resentimiento
- there was a trace of sadness in his voice — había un dejo de tristeza en su voz
- In the beginning of the film, Trinity is on the phone and we see the computer doing a telephone trace.
- Witnesses took the number of the car and police conducted a trace on the vehicle.
2.2(drawn by instrument)trazo masculine
- The duration of the stimulus presentation was synchronized with the refresh traces of the monitor.
- The consensus model presented here is derived from the results of analyzing only six traces recorded in response to a single perturbation.
- Computer analysis of the trace is used to retrieve the spectral phase of the input pulse (a).
- Objective responses are recorded on a polygraph trace.
- During recognition, the probe accesses the traces of all studied items in parallel.
- When the Bug detects Mr. Grout, we expect to see spikes in the neural traces displayed on the lower half of the monitor.
- In this instance, 10 traces were recorded simultaneously, in real time (only one trace is shown in the figure).
- It records the trace of that one-minute or twenty seconds - which can seem very long - of standing face to face with another person.
- Sequencing traces were processed using Sequencher (Gene Codes, Ann Arbor, MI).
- It is a trace of the electrical activity of the human brain.
- A total of 16.4 million DNA sequencing traces were processed using the pipeline depicted in Figure 1.
- Fig.2 A shows typical current traces recorded for synaptophysin channels.
- Only recently have correlators become available that can also record the intensity traces.
- Baxter must now wait to see if the IOC will agree to a second test to establish the nature of the trace detected.
- A direct writing electrocardiograph was attached, and I was offered the trace.
- The traces were recorded at different voltages.
3US(path, track)sendero masculinecamino masculine
2(chart)the book traces the events leading up to the crisis — el libro detalla el desarrollo de los acontecimientos que desembocaron en la crisis
- the documentary traces the history of the organization — el documental examina / analiza paso a paso la historia de la organización
3(find)(witness/criminal/missing person) localizar(criminal/missing person/witness) ubicar Latin Americathey can't trace my application form — no encuentran mi solicitud
- I can't trace any reference to it — no encuentro ninguna mención de ello
4(follow)seguirle la pista aseguirle el rastro arastrearthey traced him to a hotel in Birmingham — le siguieron la pista / el rastro hasta dar con él en un hotel en Birmingham
5(find origin of)I can trace my family back to the 17th century — los orígenes de mi familia se remontan al siglo XVII
- his family traces its descent from the Huguenots — su familia desciende de los hugonotes
- they traced the information (back) to the embassy — descubrieron que la información provenía de la embajada / se había originado en la embajada
- to trace a call — averiguar de dónde proviene una llamada
- they traced the call to a public telephone — averiguaron que la llamada provenía de un teléfono público
6(on tracing paper)calcar
7(draw)(outline/line) trazarshe traced (out) a plan of the town in the sand — hizo / dibujó un plano de la ciudad en la arena
1(harness strap)tirante masculineto kick over the traces — rebelarse
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.